Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Center Muffler Delete

Has anyone deleted the center resonator/muffler? That thing is enormously large! I want to remove it and straight pipe to the rear muffler.

Last edited by coors; 06-26-2020 at 07:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jade Dockery (02-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The center muffler is the main muffler, the rear muffler is just to make it quieter.
It is my understanding that if you remove the center muffler you will blow out your rear muller.
You can easily remove your rear muffler with no problems.
Either way you will not get any more power.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
It's gotta free up the flow of exhaust. The truck feels like its gasping as I climb hills.
Making the exhaust flow better will not gain any power. It is a balanced system.

You'd need to do something to the "in" side to see any difference (port the heads, bigger fuel injectors/pulse width change, larger throttle body, etc). You can't cheat physics. It's that simple.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i got a stainless Magnaflow muffler at summit racing, on clearance for 40 bucks, because it had a tiny dent in it. its the 2.5" center inlet and offset outlet, its actually 1" longer than stock, but much flatter. fits perfect when you cut your old muffler out. i re-welded on the hanger to the front of the muffler.

the rear resonator, i cut off after the hanger, then cut the stainless turndown off the resonator, and re-clamped it back onto the exhaust just after the hanger. so the exhaust is still hanging just like stock.

i love how it sounds, and was all for 40 bucks. not that i expected more power, but i wanted to be able to hear a rumble of the v8 but didnt want it obnoxiously loud. its perfect for my tastes

The following 2 users liked this post by RAYMAN975:
galchutt81 (04-28-2016), thearmlesswonder (05-21-2015)
Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do it,borla exsaust co, sells a full exsust kit that removes the resonator, it isnt the same as a muffler, the bottom line you will get better power, and M.P.H out of it, I have done this to every car and truck that I have owned and no harm or fowl has been done, this is one of the better mods you can do, yes I will be doing this soon.All I can sugest is get a pipe with the O.E.M fittings so if you are not happy with the out come you can unbolt it an put back the resonater.

The following users liked this post:
thearmlesswonder (05-21-2015)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Making the exhaust flow better will not gain any power. It is a balanced system.

You'd need to do something to the "in" side to see any difference (port the heads, bigger fuel injectors/pulse width change, larger throttle body, etc). You can't cheat physics. It's that simple.
Can you elaborate further

Last edited by coors; 06-26-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The stock exhaust is NOT restricted (in the fact that it doesn't need to flow any more gas than it already is for what the motor is outputting). That's what I mean by balanced system. Not to mention that running freer flowing exhaust on many vehicles without other modifications can screw up exhaust velocity enough to make your upstream O2 sensors read improperly for how the ECU expects, requiring fuel map changes.

If you'd like to do it, it's your truck. Don't bother heeding the warnings of people who build these motors professionally.

And please do dyno both before and after.

Last edited by DarylJ; 04-14-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modifying the stock exhaust system on our trucks will not increase hp, torque, engine efficiency, etc. The only thing that you are going to get by modifying your stock exhaust is a different sound coming out of your tailpipe.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did mine today, lost some bottom end but gained top end power, so yes it does effect the power one way or another.If you want lower end replace the exsust pipe w 2", top end go larger.if it didnt effect power, drag cars mud bogger etc, wouldnt use larger exsust tube, and aftermarket exsaust co. would be sued for false advertising. But think what you want!Yes to get full benifits from the mod your computer should be programed for it or a chip added.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the backpressure is pretty much tuned correctly already stock. If you give it less, you'll lose bottom end, add it and you'll gain.
DarylJ is right, though, no need to open it up on a stock tune. If you add intake, injectors, fuel pump and tune it, then you'll need to, but nothing to really be gained stock.
I do wish mine sounded more like a V8.

Quick Reply: Center Muffler Delete