Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"centering" steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default "centering" steering

I need to return my front steering back up to spec. I have replaced in the past my steering linkage and steering gear box(original leaked), So I'm going to be working on truck tomorrow and I need to center my steering, My steering wheel is not in the correct "default" position, Its a little off and I feel like the travel for turning left is tighter than the travel for the right side.
Also my slip ring on the steering column has "come off" and I need to put it back on. Any advice for the above would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

You'll probably have to take it to a tire shop and have it aligned. On most cars they center the steering wheel, then adjust the tie rod ends so wheels point straight.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

I got a lifetime alignment deal with tire engineers in Pelham, Al and they say that it's a pia to do a rover. It's like doing a f-250 to get it to be right and takes forever. But on the plus side, I only paid $200 for it and have them align it every 5,000 miles when the rotate and balance my tires so I've got my money's worth over and over out of em

Old 04-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

First make sure the steering box drop arm is centered using an alignment bolt in the notch with the steering wheel dead center. Instructions in RAVE. A quick check you can do is center the wheel, turn it all the left, counting the turns, then re-center, and count turns right... should be the same. An alignment shop won't fix that part for you.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

^^^^ Yes, it sounds like you don't have the pitman arm centered correctly on the selector shaft of the gearbox...if it is turning one way more than the other. Remove pitman arm and make slight adjustments until you get it right. Locking bolt should slide through the hole on the pitman arm and selector shaft groove easily, when aligned correctly.

Then adjust your toe. This can be done with a tape measure. Me, I usually pick up the front to give me more room and adjust rear track bar until I measure 1/8 toe-in, but if you have a drive-on lift...then just set it at 1/16 toe-in. Normally, picking it up unloads the suspension and allows for a greater amount of toe-in, once you lower the vehicle and load the suspension again...it "should" be around 1/16.

Once you have your toe adjusted to your liking, then adjust drag link to center steering wheel.

Just so we are clear about terminology...

Pitman arm is centered/connected to the selector shaft of gear box, drag link is connected to the pitman arm and steering knuckle (front side of axle), track bar/tie rod bar is connected between each steering knuckle (on back side of axle).

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 04-08-2017 at 03:51 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Rock Crawling

The pitman arm is a real PIA to remove. Any one have a link to an affordable puller?

Old 04-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by bmeier
The pitman arm is a real PIA to remove. Any one have a link to an affordable puller?
yes! I broke 2 high quality pullers before I gave up and dropped off the box to a machine shop.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Rock Crawling

So I came across this:

OTC 6497 Front End - Pullers

Has anyone used this on a 2004 D2?, I heard it works on the earlier year discos?

Old 04-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

I've used a pitman arm puller similiar to that one, but it was made by OTC...and it was made in America...so that tells you how old it is...lol. But, they work great...especially if you used any type of lube on the shaft when you installed the pitman arm.

Did you turn the wheel lock to lock and see if it was centered or off?

Brian.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Why do you want to pull the pitman? Don't have to touch it to do the centering

Thankfully when I bought my replacement steering box, the drop arm was preinstalled. Doesn't look like a fun job.

Quick Reply: "centering" steering