Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centre console/dashboard leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:51 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centre console/dashboard leak

Hi there. This is my first posting here, so apologies if this has been discussed before. I did have a scan through the site, but searching on 'leak' throws up way too many results!!

I have a 2003 (52) 2.5 TD5 ES Disco. No major problems, even after owning it for about 6 months and driving it constantly throughout the snow we suffered here in the UK. Perhaps this is some kind of record?

Anyway, after washing the wife's car at the weekend, I thought I'd give mine blast with the pressure washer to get rid of the major bits of dirt from the lower body and wheel arches. I didn't do the upper body or the roof.

When I got in it this morning, the centre console (where the gear-stick and ratio select are) has water in it. Having a search around, it looks like the water has come in from behind the air-con unit or the radio.

My question is - is this what people would expect, or does it indicate a more serious problem somewhere? Is it simply a case of me hitting a spot under the car that I shouldn't have?

Cheers!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:05 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe water found its way past the gear stick or H-L shifter, those boots are not really water proof.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:26 AM
3rd Gear

It was more to the front of that area, and there was noticable moisture around the edges of the aircon unit, as well as a little on the radio. There's an extending cup-holder thing (never use it, as it's not big enough for my thermos-mug) under the aircon that was also damp when I popped it out.

I'm guessing I must have forced some water up and along some piping or something. Next time I'll just leave it dirty :-D

Old 02-14-2011, 05:53 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Were the front doors open
Heck there are not many holes under the vehicle, only the shifters and the 2 air con drain nipples that I know of. Maybe you have a rust hole somewhere? It's worth getting under the vehicle and checking it out.
Are the front carpets wet?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:01 AM
3rd Gear

Heh heh! No, doors were not open :-D

I'll try to get a look under it tonight when I get home.

Front carpets aren't wet as far as I'm aware. That said, I was pushed for time this morning and only had time for a brief check. Will investigate further after work.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Three Wheeling

Another obvious problem area with the Disco is drainage from the sunroofs. There are drainage tubes that go from the sunroofs down towards the bottom of the truck, and its fairly common for the plastic fittings that join up to these tubes to separate. Unfortunately, the best way to know for certain is to remove the front portion of your headliner and try to see if they are separated. If I remember correctly (and someone please chime in if I am mistaken) the drainage tubes for the front sunroof follow the A-pillar downwards. I do not remember where they exit, but it has been suggested before that if you have an air compressor and a friend to blow some air through the tube and see if anything comes out. Hope you find the problem.