Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chancho is home but still very sick.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chancho is home but still very sick.

Picked up Chancho from the transmission shop tonight and all went well with the new tranny and drive shaft installation. I've owned this rig for a little over a month and tonight was the first test drive. Tranny shifts like a dream!!

The bad news: The transmission installation ended up costing quite a bit more than I expected. Funds are very low now and my rig is still very sick. Below is a list of the problems that I am faced with.

1. ABS,TC, and Hill Descent lights illuminated.

2. Bad vibration around 45 mph. Transmission mech. says that when the previous owner experienced drive shaft failure, not only did it take out the tranny but also bent the output shaft on the transfer case. Will need further explanation if anyone cares to touch on this one.

3. Drove around the block tonight and can hear what sounds like running water coming from the glove box area. This happens only when I accelerate.

4. Pool of fluid just behind the driver's side front wheel. Confirmed master cylinder leak. Sigh....

I was very excited to get my rig home but now I feel a little overwhelmed when I think about all the problems that I'm up against.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1- 3 amigos, do a search
2- You need a new transfer case. There is a shaft that ties to the front drive shaft. If it is bent, either you need to tear down the case and re-build with a new shaft or get a good used one.
3- You need to properly bleed the coolant system. There is air trapped and it could cause you to overheat.
4- Not much to tell you here, just replace it.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. As said above
2.Before spending more, make sure the u-joints are good and at least get a second opinion on the t-case output shaft being bent.
3. As said above
4. Is your brake fluid going down in the reservoir ??? Don't froget that the sunroof drains are located in that same area and that overnight condensation will leave spots behind the wheel in the morning.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ChanchoVerde
Picked up Chancho from the transmission shop tonight and all went well with the new tranny and drive shaft installation. I've owned this rig for a little over a month and tonight was the first test drive. Tranny shifts like a dream!!

The bad news: The transmission installation ended up costing quite a bit more than I expected. Funds are very low now and my rig is still very sick. Below is a list of the problems that I am faced with.

1. ABS,TC, and Hill Descent lights illuminated.

2. Bad vibration around 45 mph. Transmission mech. says that when the previous owner experienced drive shaft failure, not only did it take out the tranny but also bent the output shaft on the transfer case. Will need further explanation if anyone cares to touch on this one.

3. Drove around the block tonight and can hear what sounds like running water coming from the glove box area. This happens only when I accelerate.

4. Pool of fluid just behind the driver's side front wheel. Confirmed master cylinder leak. Sigh....

I was very excited to get my rig home but now I feel a little overwhelmed when I think about all the problems that I'm up against.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
With your list of problems I would like to call you. Send me your number,if you want and let me see if I can help you.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Rock Crawling

I've got your number Mike. I'll call you this weekend if your available.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I'll be around.