Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changed out my O2 sesnors with only a few sore knuckles!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default changed out my O2 sesnors with only a few sore knuckles!

Well it finally dried out here in Houston so I got busy and changed out the O2 sensors on my 2003 Disco with 4 new ones from Atlantic British. I had not thrown any codes but they had 97 thousand or so miles on them and I wanted to help spend my wife's recent Christmas bonus!

Only thing I will say is that Rover car designers must have very little hands and wrists or just not give a crap about those of us with average size ones. Thedownstream O2 sensors were a cinch with plenty of room to work and the old ones were not to tight. I bought an O2 socket, sort of like a Crow's footwrench; it was worth the few bucks as it makes for a better fit then an open endwrench.

The front ones were a lot harder to get to, especially the one on the driver's side as it is in an area where there is literally about 1.5 inches between the engine and the firewall where they attach the plug to.

And why is it I always think about wearing some latex gloves after I have gotten my hands completly dirty with grease and dirt???

Next thing for today is to do the plugs and wires with +4's and Manicors that I ordered 6 months ago.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: changed out my O2 sesnors with only a few sore knuckles!

So Chris,
Not to ruin your soon to be New Years, but have you replaced the 2 bad u-joints in your front drive shaft. If no, crawl under your truck with a flash light and see if the 2 u-joints in the double cardon housing that hooks to the t/case have grease fittings. If they don't, this should be your next project.
Also, do you know how to replace the plug wires without removing the intake manifold?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

So Chris,
Not to ruin your soon to be New Years, but have you replaced the 2 bad u-joints in your front drive shaft. If no, crawl under your truck with a flash light and see if the 2 u-joints in the double cardon housing that hooks to the t/case have grease fittings. If they don't, this should be your next project.
Also, do you know how to replace the plug wires without removing the intake manifold?
I still haven't done mine.[sm=smiley24.gif] so i'm all hear about the "trick" LOL

Old 12-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually Mike, the front drive shaft was what got me going on spending my wife's Christmas Bonus! I did that 2 weeks agoand that was when I started thinking about going ahead and doing the O2 scensors. It was pretty easy to remove and I had a reputable Driveline shop here in Houston overhaul the whole thing, it looks and feels better then new!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car designers had normal hands and wrists the problem was

The design engineers spent sooo much time doing (what else) the design work that they eventually came home early one day and caught the Maintenance guy tagging his girlfriend so, with a coupla extra months of design it was made in a manner that makes it all but impossible to work on after the factory assembles it.