Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging Problem - need help from the proz

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Charging Problem - need help from the proz

Actual numbers escape me but trusted Brother-in-law ( who was with me when I put in the new battery) took the readings at battery and alternator while I was manning the ignition switch, and proclaimed both to be putting out at normal levels.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I didn't say get voltage readings, I suggested if you want to find out what is wrong you take it in for a free test. If you are not willing to do that, there is nothing we can do to help you.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

I didn't say get voltage readings, I suggested if you want to find out what is wrong you take it in for a free test. If you are not willing to do that, there is nothing we can do to help you.
But I am taking it in to see what is wrong with it.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:36 AM

So while attempting to remove the alternator I discover the joy of working in an engine compartment of something newer than 1968 :-) meaning that apparantly I have to remove the fan in order to get to the tensioning pully to relieve tension from the belt so I can get the alternator to slide out from the bracket. According to the rave CD it seems that I require a special tool to remove the fan, which of course I don't have......anytricks/trade secrets to pass along on howI can do this while leaving the fan in place?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AutoZone had a fan clutch removal tool as a free loaner for my '95; same tool as Ford 4.9 I-6, and absolutely indispensible for fan clutch. However, just to relieve the belt tensioner only took removing the top of the fan shroud (2 clips) and a wrench on the hex (or breaker bar in the socket? Memory fails). Well, that and several skinned knuckles.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:00 PM

I got it without having to remove the fan. The photo on the RAVE CD and reality differed somewhat, as my tensioner pulley was more offset and was accessible ( but just barely). and yep - lots of skinned knuckles were involved. Turned out my problem was with the brushes on the regulator - not too worn, just stuck with all of the dust/grime that had accumulated in there. Cleaned up real well and tested fine afterwards. So it's all buttoned up and I'm back on the road!

Thanks everyone for your help - much appreciated!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey, I'm glad you took it apart and inspected it! It wasn't too difficult, was it?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 PM

The only difficult part was getting it removed! And while I was there I discovered the ignition wire had been cut andpoorly spliced together so Irepaired that while I was at it. All things considered, it was a good day.......especially when I was finished. Thanks again for the help.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
Disco 2,

Yeah we have shops here, and one is really cooperative with working with guys like me thatprefer to do it myself, the other one isn't. I can't see paying a shop to do something anybody with average mechanical skills could do in about 30-50 minutes. To me, it's a challenge, fun, and ya can save abunch of money over getting a rebuild. Plus, like I said, I wanted to keep it original.Shinnynew plating isn'tas important to me as theLand Rover sticker on it.There aren't hardly any parts to an alternator.With a Magnetti Marelli Alt, all the main wear items are on the back of the alternator, easily accessible and ya don't need to mess with the bearings to change any of this stuff. It's sooo easy, in fact, ya could change the brushes/regulator right on the vehicle if ya wanted.

On a high mile vehicle8times out of 10 the problem is worn brushes. Universal brushes are only about $ .50 a set. If ya let them go too long they wear out, arc to thecommutator and wear the contact surface on the shaft. That's when most people have alternator problems and get a rebuild. If they would have serviced it eariler, a couple bucks would have saved them $300. This summer I replaced the brushed on my Caddy alternator (230k mi) and our Jeep G/C (190k mi). Brushes on both were almost worn out.
Other problems could be a failed voltage regulator or a bad diode. In my case, the Autozone on-vehicle test indicated it was a bad diode. For this alternator the diodes are part of a rectifier assembly and becuase L/R is not a common application, vs a Ford/GM/Toyota, I had to get them from my alternator shop. That cost me more than online sources or catalog. I think it was like $40. While I was in there, I also replaced the regulator/brushes assembly (they come as one) with OME and that was about $40. Ultimately I didn't need to as you will later find out, but my thought was to replace the main wear items while I was in there. Putting these on the alternator took maybe 1/2 hr. The bearings look/felt good and I didn't replace them. Sometimes I do replace the bearings, but usually not. Bearing failure isn't very common (although it does happen), and usually the altwill whirl loudly for quite a while before it siezes up and causes other damage. I've run a lot of vehicles well over 200k and never have I had an alternator bearing fail. If ya hear them whirl ya can replace for a couple bucks before it leads to a $300 repair. Apparently a lot of shops and rebuild outfits also repack and reuse the bearings. I also ohmed out the field and other coils and they checked out Ok.

After all this, the alternator acted the same as before the work I did. I had the rebuilt alternator tested a couple times and it tested good. Ultimately the problem turned out to be that the previous owner (or mechanic) put the serpentine belt on incorrectly and there wasn't enough belt contact area around the alternator pulley. So, it would slip when under higher amp draw. I posted more about this in another post. My bad, the Autozone test sent me down a path of looking for an electrical problem. Usually I'm pretty good about looking at the problem from a more global perspective, but did not do so this time. Just goes to show that high tech tests are no substitue fundamental troubleshooting. Also, my L/R does not have a belt routing sticker or diagram under the hood or in the owners manual, to refer to. First time in all my years I ever had a belt installed incorrectly. It works great now.
Were did you purchase the rectifier assembly? Does it require soldering to replace? I can't tell yet because I don't have the alternator apart. Both my brushes and bearings look great also.

FYI, to all those getting skinned knuckles. pull on the wrench when possible!!

thanks

Last edited by Dean; 08-20-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Call British Pacific.
Buy a brand new Magneti Marelli from them.

I bought one for a Range Rover that had a higher AMPS output and it went into the Discovery I.

For the D2, not sure if you can weasel a higher output current wise.

If you have time to fiddle with it, then try to rebuild it.
If you need a Daily Driver - buy a brand new Alternator.
Rebuilt - are hit and miss. Mostly miss.

Quick Reply: Charging Problem - need help from the proz