Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine and rear window wiper

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 06:16 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine and rear window wiper

Ok, picked up the new 97 discovery today and love it. Engine smooth and strong- no leaks. I did notice the check engine light is on constant - did not notice it when I test drove it a few days ago, but might have missed it as it kind of hides behind the steering wheel. Since engine seems very smooth and powerfull is there anything you suggest that I look at? Are there reasonably priced scanners out there for this veh that I can buy? Also noticed rear wiper not running . Any test procedure to figure out troubleshoot that? Thanks. Changed oil, oil filter and fuel filter and cel still on. am going to check plugs and be sure they are not problem - but is running soo smooth that hard to bel they are culprit.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Drifting
Default RE: check engine and rear window wiper

I got a scanner at autozone for like $84 as I figure I can use it a bunch down the road with this veh and scanned the disco. It pulled a code which I cleared and the light has not come back on, so am thinking I am good on that part. Still looking for help on rear window washer and wiper - is there a known issue with a fix for this? Thanks

Old 10-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Mudding

Maybe a dumb question, but did you check the fuse for them? That is one of the only thing my wiring diagram shows in common. I think it is fuse F18. If it isn't that, post reply and we'll start troubleshooting.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:39 AM
Drifting

sorry, should have stated that I did check fuse and also as it is linked with power mirrors and they work, ( it is #18 on fuse panel). I found a little hose behind the washer fluid tank that has a plastic end that was not attatched to anything- then I found a blue tube that was also not connected that looked like the same inner diameter as the outside of the plastic end. I connected them and still nothing. When I press the washer button for rear washer, I can hear the motor run for washer but no fluid comes out back sprayer. I found no drips after pressing this button, so believe no water is flowing. I let the pump run for 5-10 sec thinking that maybe the line was full of air and it would take a bit of time to get it from front to the rear, but I was afraid that I would burn it out if it was running dry ( not know if a seperate pump for rear). Can anyone tell me how the system works? By this I mean are there two seperate pumps for front and rear? If not, how does the water get channeled to either the front or rear sprayers? Front works as does headlight ones. When I press the button for rear wiper, nothing at all happens. I do not have a repair manual for this truck yet, but was concerned that it will not really have anything regarding troubleshooting the rear wiper in it. anyone have the name of a manual that does? This is the only thing wrong with the truck and I am very happy with the purchase, so it is nagging me. I hate to take off the twasher tank and didg in without a little more info.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Mudding

From your post, when you push the button for the rear, you are hearing the motor running. If this is not the case, I would check the GLG wire for a short, as this is the other thing the washer and wiper have in common.

Based on your description, you likely have two separate issues.

Lets start with the pump:
There are separate washer motors/pumps for the front, rear, and headlamps. They are located on the back of the reservoir. There is also a separate non-return valve for the headlights located near the front bumper.

Assuming the motor runs, the first thing I would check is to remove the sprayer from the back of the vehicle and make sure the hose is attached and not kinked, and that the jets are not plugged. You have to gently rotate the sprayer clockwise to align the two compression tabs in order to remove it. Assuming the tubing was attached properly, I would then carefully remove the sprayer from the tubing. I would then run the washer for a 8-10 seconds to see if you get fluid. If you do, then it is the jets plugged, and I would use a small pin to unplug the jets. You can also use the pin to adjust the jets after you refit everything. If it is not the jet, then move to next series of tests.

Things get more complicated from here. You will unfortunately have to remove the retaining bolts on the reservoir to do checks. There are two bolts up top and two at the base of the reservoir, attached to the wheel well. When you have this partway removed, you will notice three pumps. As viewed from the back of the reservoir, the right side pump is for the rear window, the middle one is for the headlamps, and the left is for the windscreen. Obviously, you should have hoses attached to all three. We will focus on the rear pump first. Run your test again to assure this pump is working. Remove the tubing, and see if you have fluid pumping under test. If you don't, you probably have a blocked inlet or a broken impeller. If you do have fluid pumping, you likely have one of three issues: A blocked tube (which is a pain to replace), a broken tube (also a pain), or someone put the non-return valve in backward. For the first two, you will probably need to snake new tubing to the back of the car. The non-return valve should be right near the reservoir, and should be able to be checked easily.

For the rear motor:
Likely suspects are the rear wiper relay, the rear wiper motor, or the connector wire. It could also be the Multifunction unit.

Removing the motor for examination and testing involves removing the spare tire, removing the rear door fascia and then testing for voltage at the motor. It would be the first item I would check.

It sounded like you were getting a manual. If you are not, email me a fax number and I will attempt to send you a copy of the pertinent pages from the Electrical Testing and Maintenance manual.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Drifting

got it figured out. I did not know that the rear wiper only works with engine running- it works fine. Regarding r washer. I could hear punp ruinning, so traces all hoses and found that one had rolled up paper in it and was disconnected. Well that was the one to the rear and I reconnected it and shoots like a cannon. I can only assume that someone was doing work on the washer tank or a motor and forgot to hook it up again. I think the paper was thier way of plugging the tube to prevent the tank from draining during the process. I had to cut that small section out as I could not get the paper out, so maybe they just left it unplugged as they could not unplug it???? In any event, all systems functioning, no cell and passed inspection/emissions with no worries. Loving it. Thanks

Old 10-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Drifting

appreciate the offer, but am getting a manual as I do not allow others to work on my vehicles if at all possible.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Mudding

glad to hear you got it sorted out.