Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking my logic

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
buy a $500 truck not running and put a $5k engine in it, not my logic.
i would look for one done for $4500
Best logic would be to buy the $500 truck for parts then find one done, same year and color for between $3,500-$4,500. If you plan it right you could end up with an $8,000 truck that is just about perfect. And, eventually a hunk of scrap metal that can be junked for around $500 - your original purchase price.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:42 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Let's say you spend somewhere around half of ten-thousand to get the Discovery running well now, whether you resurrect a parts car or find someone who's done it and selling it. Maybe you even finish it with a top-hat liner rebuilt motor. Suppose even that the rebuild comes with a water pump that doesn't have a worn bearing. That doesn't mean that the fan clutch won't need to be replaced probably sooner rather than later. The 170 degree thermostat won't help if the radiator needs to be rodded out or replaced. It's also just a matter of time before the brake servo/booster seals leak and the booster has to be changed out. It won't be preserved just because you don't drive it. The headliner will fall whether you drive it or not. The motor will misfire whether you drive it now or later, and those misfires will melt and break the catalysts if they're not already broken. Sooner or later you'll be replacing O2 sensors and the MAFS. Since you already paid for a complete rebuild, you won't soon run into the need for a head gasket, or to figure out a ticking that comes from worn bearings or a slipped bearing shell, but you'll still have to replace the brake pads and rotors, and on the DII, probably the hubs as well. If that's not enough, it's just a matter of time before the CV boots split, the lubricant is flung out, and the CV joints fail. If that doesn't happen, the axles will just fail from fatigue when they're twisted up, even faster if you install oversized tires. You are planning on installing oversized tires, and a lift kit so you can fit them right? Everyone else does. If not, you'd still need tires, shocks, and to replace the worn-out, sagging stock springs. That's why I wrote, plan on spending at least $10K in the first few years. Consider the opportunity cost, and what your alternatives are. Otherwise, you're kidding yourself.

Last edited by binvanna; 02-25-2016 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Decider (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Drowssap, good point and that is the direction I was going but at the age the DII are getting they seem to be in the 135-150K mile range. I do not see alot of glowing posts from guys with the original engines past that point. Not that they dont exist just seems to be the rare case. So I thought paying $4500 as you are saying for one with the original engine in it, most likely with the head gaskets already done seems like doubling down to me. It seems to be a when not if on the factory powerplants. That is how I came around to this approach. It won't pan out if the proclaimed "top Hat" liner engine isn't the fix for these engines that I hope it is.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:01 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

You don't see many happy owners posting on forums in general. People don't typically find this place until something happens.

That being said, I have a 145k on my second engine, factory replacement. It is running quite nicely and will take me well past 200k

Old 02-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it all depends on the truck, i have several.
my 2000 overheated big time, several times, needed head gaskets at 75k.
i replaced the gaskets never touched the heads it now has 150k running fine.

My 99 disco and P-38 are both over 125k with the original gaskets.
i believe changing coolant is very important on these.

i was on craigs list this morning and saw a 04 with 69k on it for less than 4k.

get a good one to start and keep it maintained, and i think you would be happier in the end. jmho

Last edited by drowssap; 02-25-2016 at 11:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Decider (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Three Wheeling

Binvanna, awesome response. I guess we all drive time bombs of sorts. Your post is exactly what I was hoping to get. I will need to read up on the cat melt down scenario. I have not had a vehicle yet that hasn't needed regular maintenance, hell Toyotas need brakes and CV joints replaced now and then and they start at $10K if you want to be under 250K miles. Thanks for spending the time explaining your thoughts.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Three Wheeling

Dave, thanks for the info. Good to hear that. Did they do the factory replacement under warranty?

Old 02-25-2016, 11:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Fast, I like it, thanks!

Last edited by The Decider; 02-25-2016 at 11:26 AM. Reason: forgot to add response name
Old 02-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Three Wheeling

Drowssap, I believe that is a good approach. Maybe I have been listening to all the engine issues without hearing from the guys that aren't complaining.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I got on this forum for information, like yourself. I probably paid too much for mine, according to alot of members on here. It was running on 6 cylinders, and had numerous codes. Engine was ticking, oil leaked, etc. None of the fixes, broke the bank. If you are willing to shop smartly for parts, these are no more expensive than any other 13-18 year old vehicle. The are expensive, like most other vehicles, if you take them to the dealer for every repair. Now changing the oil to the forum recommended oil, adding a 180 thermostat, got rid of the ticking and my temps never reach 200 anymore. I love a challenge, and getting mine in the shape it is in now, has been very rewarding. Nothing I have had to purchase has been out of line, I have purchased coil, plugs, wires, steering pump, radiator, windshield, O2 sensors, purge valve, new key FOB, oil cooler, batter,EBC rotors, Akebono ceramic pads. My receipts total 1500.00. I did all the work myself, and I have a nice vehicle that will go where most will not, doesnt leak anything, runs smooth and quiet. My biggest single expense was getting the vehicle's sound system upgraded to todays standards. DVD player with Navigation, Bluetooth, CarPlay, headrest monitors, 10" sub(I had all this in Chevrolet 2500, so It was not an extra exxpense). I am 61 years old and dont drive like a bat out of hell anymore, and if the time comes, there is nothing I cannot replace on this vehicle myself. So, to each his own, and by the way, I have had 45 years experience working on cars and trucks. I owned an equipment rental store for 25 years, and did all the maintenance and repairs myself. I am on here to help where needed, and to offer advise that comes from experience. If I am ignorant on a subject, I listen and learn. You will not find me talking down to members, and I usually ignore some posts. I stand behind everything I post.
I dont think you can go wrong, if you are a "glass is half full" sort of guy.
good luck with your choice, and look forward to hearing about your journey.

Quick Reply: Checking my logic