Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking Out a 2000 Disco to Trade for my 1999 Wrangler SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If the body and interior are in good shape, along with the mechanical things of course, I would go for it. My brother has a wrangler, and we off road together. Even when my disco was stock, I never thought twice about going places he would not dream of.

That being said lol, check to see if there's coolant on the tranny bell housing, by the drain plug. That's a tell-tale sign of a rear cylinder head gasket leak. Plus, it's a lot easier to see than climbing on top of the motor.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Ask him why he wants to trade, there has to be a reason why he's trading a lower miles car for a higher miles one.
Worst case you are into it for zero money and you can sell it for a few grand and buy something else.
I'm sure you have read that you must use premium gas.
Thanks for the response. I had asked him that and he told me it was the expensive maintenance and the fact that they didn't drive it much anymore. Yes I am actually very familiar with high maintenance cars. My previous vehicles were a Chrysler Crossfire Limited, a Mercedes C55 AMG, and currently an SRT-6 - all of which take premium fluids and fuels, but thankfully all of which were/are reliable vehicles (knock on wood). My Wrangler was bought on a whim when I realized the cost to winterize my Crossfire would have 30% of the purchase price for my Wrangler. The fiancee went with it because she knew the Jeep is CHEAP to maintain. So now she is having concerns about me having two vehicles that need pampering, which, I suppose I am too a little bit but not at as much as she is.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:41 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jafir
No, It's because Heep drivers are more brainwashed than we are, if you can believe it.... well that AND there aren't many soccer moms buying wranglers that have to ditch them when the warranty is gone.

If that 99 had more like 100k miles on it, they would probably try to get like $9000 here. It's silly.
Yeah, I realized after purchasing that the Wrangler community is made up of many individuals who are continually modding their Jeeps to bigger and bigger lifts, tires, differentials, axles, aesthetic updates, etc. People like them because you can buy one for cheap, mod the heck out of it for (relatively) cheap, and still not have spent an arm and a leg for a nice looking rig. That said, I am not one of those types. I like my vehicles to look a certain way, keep all of the maintenance performed on time and any preventative repairs done, and keep them clean (well, not the Jeep, I haven't cleaned that once! ) but other than that I am not big into modding. I think you are spot on with the aftermarket being what it is. If Land Rovers didn't have such negative connotations regarding poor reliability and expensive parts, of course they would have better resale than the Jeep Wrangler because they are much nicer cars aesthetically speaking. The Jeep Wrangler is pretty good on reliability and pretty cheap to fix, so people naturally flock to them.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by sloan74
I6 engine? Keep the JK man.

I traded my 95 YK for my 99 Disco II. But it was a 4 banger.
It is a 4 banger, so not worth as much to potential buyers, but I knew that going in because I got it for so cheap. This was meant to be my bad weather rig, with the SRT-6 as the DD, so I wasn't too worried about resale at the time. That said, it is sloooowwwww. But it isn't horrible on gas either.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Winching

Word, if its a 4 banger TRADE IT

Yeah I had 4" of lift on mine with 33 MTs. And it would barely hit 65 on the interstate, and that was going down hill.

I was gonna sink the money into regearing, but figured I would just trade it.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my extremely low mileage 2000 disco II while still owning my 99 TJ Sahara back in 2006. After six months of changing parts preventatively on the Discovery, like engine pulleys, u-joints and radiator....and the fact that I wasn't driving the TJ anymore, I sold the beloved TJ.

Worst mistake of my life.... Unless you are a mechanic and don't mind fixing things all of the time... And I mean ALL of the time for you need a second car while the truck is down, just look at this place.... One of the busiest forums on the NET, for a truck that only sold a few copies compared to fords or Jeeps.... Lights come on ( 3 amigos), engine blocks leak and overheat, driveshafts need to be addressed, engine pulleys, door actuators, suspension and the list is never-ending. Once you've been around and think you are finally done, guess what ??? it starts over again....

After 4 years and 9Gs spent (except for head gasket, I did all the work), I sold it while nothing had to be adressed. Too bad cause that truck made me feel like no other while on the road.. I was the proudest SOB outhere, but I never relaxed and was always on the lookout for the ''next'' thing to go wrong !!!

Now, I drive a Volvo XC90..... Would never dream of going anywhere the Disco could have gone. The ride and forums are the most boring thing... heck last post was in april and about tire size and a noise somewhere. Less posts in last year than yesterday here. Gas every other week and oil change every season. that's it !!!.. .... Was the best headlamp conversion ever

Anyways, you most likely gonna have to live your own experience and I hope you make the best decision for you.... all in all, I really miss the community here, people are great and have tons of info to share.

I saved enough money in one year to convert my bike into a chopper..... See Pics !!!

Attached Thumbnails Checking Out a 2000 Disco to Trade for my 1999 Wrangler SE-2012-04-03_15-29-45_155.jpg   Checking Out a 2000 Disco to Trade for my 1999 Wrangler SE-2012-03-20_17-08-26_218.jpg   Checking Out a 2000 Disco to Trade for my 1999 Wrangler SE-vtx-2012-street-shot..jpg