Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chevy diesel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have really been looking around for a good diesel swap and like was said earlier trying to find someone to talk to about it is hard. But I have found these two sites that are promising in the fact that apparently somebody out there is doing this because there is a business for it.

http://landroverimport.com/products.html

http://www.disco-tech.ca/engines/#isuzu

Anyway, enjoy looking and dreaming.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default you need to look more

Originally Posted by discomedic4
I have really been looking around for a good diesel swap and like was said earlier trying to find someone to talk to about it is hard. But I have found these two sites that are promising in the fact that apparently somebody out there is doing this because there is a business for it.

http://landroverimport.com/products.html

http://www.disco-tech.ca/engines/#isuzu

Anyway, enjoy looking and dreaming.

The first one is over priced and the second one resells kits from the UK who you can buy direct from. I am going to do a conversion and am looking for a DI doner truck at this time. It will be a TDI 300 as i dont want to spend over 10k to do it and do not want to have a full time machine shop at my disposal. I will be doing myself and with another rover enthusiest. It's expensive and time consuming as i have spent alot of time talking to people who do it and have done it. The nicest isuzu conversion that most have seen is sitting in a garage after being sold a couple times and is not running....if you are even thinking of doing a DII well you will be looking at 20k min. you are better off getting a wreaked defender and swaping in a diesel...that will save you time and money...and most of all you sanity....

Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the 200/300TDIs are too weak and too expensive...been researching isuzu 4bd1t

I think you can do a DII diesel conversion way less than $20K..but you have to find the right engine, gear box, transfer case combo

Last edited by NiteTrain; 08-12-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default dreaming like me..

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
I think the 200/300TDIs are too weak and too expensive...been researching isuzu 4bd1t

I think you can do a DII diesel conversion way less than $20K..but you have to find the right engine, gear box, transfer case combo

You can....but not in this world...maybe in another imaginary world....forget the isuzu unless you want to custom make everything and spend countless hours trying to convince the computer there is nothing wrong...

You can do a TDI 300 with a chip mod and turbo mod that will have you at 80 down the freeway without a hitch....stock will also get you about the same..when is the last time you saw a fully loaded expedition rig going 70 down the freeway...the only people running lifted out trucks and jeeps down the expressway at 80mph are idiots and rednecks.....i see them all the time with yellow blankets draped on them here in florida...

Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 PM
TReK

vandev, why would I need a computer with an non-electronic diesel, manual gear box?

I want more power than the 200/300TDIs put out not to try and break land speed records but for off-road

Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default you have a DII

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
vandev, why would I need a computer with an non-electronic diesel, manual gear box?

I want more power than the 200/300TDIs put out not to try and break land speed records but for off-road

You have one already and when a system is not running like its supposed to it will light up and let you know as well as not run at all.... Your dash will look like a christmas tree and you will be lucky to get if working without pulling out your hair.... when tou go to the isuzu swaos forum ..you will find the post from the guy who actually did the swap in a DII...well , its not running now....

why do you need more power? they did the camel with 200's and 300's with no problems....is that what you are going to do everyday? the TDI 300 or 200 is almost a drop in drive train and will work for WVO a TD5 wont or well..you will end up killing it with bio or wast oil..... A DI though..not a DII..they take more work...remember, all diesels are from RH drive trucks so you have to redo the wiring loom as it wont reach most of the commections. If you do a TD5, you have a rediculas amount of fab work, electric, fule issues to work out... and yes the TD5 does have a history of headgasket problems. If you end up overheating your done.. You cant skim the heads... it's scrap.....bet you didnt know that either....

Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While we are all here, why go with a lr diesel anyway? Sure, the parts are available, but not at your local autozone.

If you stick a 6.2 or 6.5 in there, you can easily work on them on a weekend getting parts locally. And it's pretty easy to divorce an LT230...costs about 200 dollars in brand new parts...dirt cheap if you can find a busted transfer case and a parts car.

I can easily get a dual thermostat system for the 6.2 or 6.5 and upgrade the water pump considerably (cheaply as well).

My biggest question is on radiators. Has anyone gotten fed up with the LR prices of a radiator and sourced a cheaper American one that fit? Which one was it? How big was it?

Last edited by highfructosecornsyrp; 08-12-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: fixed something
Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
You have one already and when a system is not running like its supposed to it will light up and let you know as well as not run at all.... Your dash will look like a christmas tree and you will be lucky to get if working without pulling out your hair.... when tou go to the isuzu swaos forum ..you will find the post from the guy who actually did the swap in a DII...well , its not running now....

why do you need more power? they did the camel with 200's and 300's with no problems....is that what you are going to do everyday? the TDI 300 or 200 is almost a drop in drive train and will work for WVO a TD5 wont or well..you will end up killing it with bio or wast oil..... A DI though..not a DII..they take more work...remember, all diesels are from RH drive trucks so you have to redo the wiring loom as it wont reach most of the commections. If you do a TD5, you have a rediculas amount of fab work, electric, fule issues to work out... and yes the TD5 does have a history of headgasket problems. If you end up overheating your done.. You cant skim the heads... it's scrap.....bet you didnt know that either....
Not strictly true, only the UK TD5's will be RHD, the rest of europe drives on the wrong side like you guys.............

And people DO skim TD5's with no problems.

The injection system of the TD5 is very "clever" and using bio fuel in one is madness and asking for trouble "imo".
I do laugh tho, the topic is ref fitting a diesel, main reason for a diesel is economy, yet people are on about a 6.5L engine...........WTF for ? the TD5 is 2.5L and that's more than enough

and figures quoted in an earlier post of 20 MPG, bloody stupid if you ask me, if your going to go with the hassle of an engine swap to an oil burner what ever make it is, then you should be aiming for 30MPG "min".

Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 PM
TReK

I don't care if lights come on the dash with a non-computer controlled diesel engine and maunal gear box...as long as I could get the ABS to work...take the light bulbs out...just need a switch for the glow plugs.

I'm not committed to the isuzu, I was just looking into it...that guy that did the DII/isuzu conversion also used the ZF-HP22 thats one reason it cost so much and probably why he had problems.

The 200/300Tdi is fine for stock tires, I am planning on running larger than stock tires.

Quick Reply: chevy diesel conversion