Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirp Sound on Hard Right after Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:09 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirp Sound on Hard Right after Brake Job

Guys,

I have a 99 D2. I recently did a brake job and replaced the rotors and pads. Drove the truck for a few days and broke the brakes in properly. Today, I took a long trip and was towing home the Scout Troops Trailer. After about 50 miles I turned off on to an exit ramp and I got a chime and the three amigos came one. I also noticed that went I turned sharply to the right, I got a chirp like metal on metal. I thought at first a caliper might be dragging, so I checked them out and they are fine... but it doesn't make since that I only get the noise when the truck is warmed up and it's a hard right turn. Could it be a problem with the hub? I will admit, I didn't check the fluid yet in the front axle.

Thoughts?

Old 07-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Could be a hub, could be the dust shield rubbing on the rotor.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Spike555
Thought about that, but checked and seems to be plenty of clearance. Not sure how turning would cause it to rub and make such a sharp metallic sound.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont know either, but it was a thought.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 PM
4wd Low
Wink

Did you use any anti-squeal on the back of the pads? I changed my pads and they sounded like hell until someone recommended i use it. Gave it a shot, 4 bucks later squeals went away.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Hopefully brake related. But when somebody in a D2 says "chirp", better be sure front prop shaft has already been rebuilt or replaced. Just too much risk that it will split with no warning and poke hole in tranny.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by armyofdisco
Did you use any anti-squeal on the back of the pads? I changed my pads and they sounded like hell until someone recommended i use it. Gave it a shot, 4 bucks later squeals went away.

Yes, I used an appropriate amount of brake grease between the shim and pad and on the pad contact points in the caliper. I pulled the calipers yesterday and everything seems to be in order. No binding brake pads.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:52 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Hopefully brake related. But when somebody in a D2 says "chirp", better be sure front prop shaft has already been rebuilt or replaced. Just too much risk that it will split with no warning and poke hole in tranny.
I rebuilt the front drive shaft a few years ago, and just greased the zerks on the last oil change. I changed the oil during this last brake job.

But it is a metallic chirp. I was driving it last night. It seems to do it when the brakes warm up and only when I turn hard to the right. Makes me think it's something to do with the hub. And that's why I'm also getting the three amigos.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:11 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Spike555
I just re-read your post... again don't think it's the dust shield, but what are the indications of a hub going bad?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:42 AM
4wd Low

I turned the wheel hard to the right and inspected around the Hub. Looks like I can see the seal falling apart. Where is the best place to purchase Disco hubs?

Quick Reply: Chirp Sound on Hard Right after Brake Job