Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping Noise from underneath car

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 09:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chirping Noise from underneath car

I have heard a chirping noise for the past few months and it gets a little faster when I drive faster. I can only hear it when I'm driving slowly because when I speed up, the wind noise is too loud. My first though would be the front driveshaft but I just replaced that 6 months ago. Any ideas?

Old 05-29-2019, 09:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

It's...your first thought.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
It's...your first thought.
Even though it was replaced less than 5 thousand miles ago?

Old 05-30-2019, 12:40 AM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

@dealbergaria11 yup even though, I went through the same denial. Is is easy to check if you have CDL, pull the front shaft lock your CDL and go for a drive. That what convinced me, it easy enough to get out 2 9/16 wrenches and maybe an hour tops.

I do not know the age of my original - it was greasable, and while I kept up on it I am pretty sure the OP did not. But the same issue and chirping clicking noise. When I got mine off it was pretty obvious the centering ball was binding, not a lot but enough. The rest was not taking grease well, so I replaced it and no more noises.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:54 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@dealbergaria11 yup even though, I went through the same denial. Is is easy to check if you have CDL, pull the front shaft lock your CDL and go for a drive. That what convinced me, it easy enough to get out 2 9/16 wrenches and maybe an hour tops.

I do not know the age of my original - it was greasable, and while I kept up on it I am pretty sure the OP did not. But the same issue and chirping clicking noise. When I got mine off it was pretty obvious the centering ball was binding, not a lot but enough. The rest was not taking grease well, so I replaced it and no more noises.
Well I know I don't have CDL because I have an 02 Discovery. My car also vibrates a bit when slow down; I read somewhere that might also be a symptom of bad U joints/ driveshaft. Does that pretty much confirm it's a bad driveshaft?'

Old 05-30-2019, 06:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

I replaced my drive shaft with one from eBay. Two months later the U joint failed and I was an hour and a 1/2 from home. I did manage to get home with it but when I disassembled it all the pins, bearings, were gone on 1 of the joints and the cap was severely cracked.

Also, big truck, junky joint. I would replace that immediately.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
I replaced my drive shaft with one from eBay. Two months later the U joint failed and I was an hour and a 1/2 from home. I did manage to get home with it but when I disassembled it all the pins, bearings, were gone on 1 of the joints and the cap was severely cracked.

Also, big truck, junky joint. I would replace that immediately.
Is there a way I can confirm if its the driveshaft making the chirping and ticking sounds under the car?

Old 05-30-2019, 12:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by dealbergaria11
Well I know I don't have CDL because I have an 02 Discovery. My car also vibrates a bit when slow down; I read somewhere that might also be a symptom of bad U joints/ driveshaft. Does that pretty much confirm it's a bad driveshaft?'
I think it was seven years ago that I posted this very same question on this very same forum. I have to laugh now at how freaked out I was and how it took another member to talk me off of the ledge after reading too many DiscoMike posts. I described the chirping and vibration/drag to him the very same way. It turned out being the driveshaft and u-joints which were shot, the yoke on the driveshaft worn down and the u-joints, being original, had no greasable zerks.

Although the noise you're hearing could potentially be due to something else, such as a faulty wheel bearing, as suggested, I'd start with looking at your drive shaft assembly again. When you state that the drive shaft was replaced six months ago, were the u-joints replaced? I was lucky - I had someone in town who helped me out, I ordered a replacement driveshaft off of ebay and locally sourced the u-joints and he rebuilt it. Knock on wood, that was seven years ago and I haven't heard the sound since.

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 05-30-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Would this be a reasonable test?
Put it on jack stands, put it in drive and crawl underneath.

**At your own risk** of course But thats what I'd do....

Old 05-30-2019, 02:46 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Sometimes it needs to be under load to make noise... Other times you can just grab it and twist and it will be immediately obvious. I recently had a noise that turned out to be the nuts on the front of the rear drive shaft had come a few turns loose. Could not replicate the noise while it was jacked up. Only way to tell was to put a wrench on it and check the torque. Have you checked the bolts on your new driveshaft?

Quick Reply: Chirping Noise from underneath car