Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cigar lighter, 0134 & 0154, ECT sensor, upper coolant hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cigar lighter, 0134 & 0154, ECT sensor, upper coolant hose

Couple of quick questions I hope to take care of this weekend.

1. Cigar lighter hasn't worked since purchase, i've got a working one in hand, does it simply just pull out? It appears so according to the Rave with no specific instructions. I'm not worried about breaking the broken lighter, just don't want to yank and ruin the connection for the new one.

2. Trying to track down the running rich(8mpgs) and "NO activity" codes for front o2 sensors. (2nd new pair from AB) Can someone give me specific instructions for using a multimeter to test the engine coolant temp sensor? I found in the Rave that it is located behind the alt and in the inlet manifold. I mean specifics such as, with the car off, warm, sensor in place, check with OHMS, where to place + & - and what reading i'm looking for. Spoon feed me!

3. Any other suggestions or next step in tracking down why the system is running so rich after I check the ECT sensor?

4. Finally got a "new style" upper radiator hose with "T" fitting and bleed screw. Best way to replace? Should I drain all coolant (<6 months Prestone) and fit new hose, refill, and properly bleed? Or can I remove hose with minimal loss, replace w/ new, and just top off system?

FYI: new mag wires, new bosch+4's, new HG's and all gaskets, new o2's (AB), new cats(universal), new muffler(universal), new MAF (OEM), and more. What can I say, i'm apparently building a NEW Rover!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#4: Get a hand pump and drain all the coolant from the coolant tank, then pop off the top radiator hose and drain as much from the hose and radiator as you need to. You should be able to recover most of your coolant this way and be able to reuse it.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Bundu
#4: Get a hand pump and drain all the coolant from the coolant tank, then pop off the top radiator hose and drain as much from the hose and radiator as you need to. You should be able to recover most of your coolant this way and be able to reuse it.
Thanks Bundu! But right now you're only 1 for 4...which is only acceptable in baseball.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Updates

Cigar lighter - I got the new one installed and it works. It was rather tough getting the old one out because of the black casing the bulb goes into, but I managed to wiggle and yank it out without damage. It WAS impossible to get the new one in, so I did a little cutting on the lower edge of the plastic housing that the cigar lighter fits into. Didn't like cutting it, but without removing the center counsel i'm not sure how else to get it in without breaking anything off.

Upper radiator hose - this was quite simple, more simple if you have a clamp removal tool, I didn't. Just removed the hose, lost a little coolant naturally, and replaced with newer style hose with new bleed screw, refilled reservior, started truck and refilled to cold fill line. Let it warm up with lid off and bubbles, closed and ran, test drive, all is good. I will top off in the morning if necessary.

Running rich - I will test the ECT sensor in the next day or two and reply with results. I'm hoping this is my issue as its probably the least expensive of the possible fixes.