Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CKPS keep engine from turning over?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Ckps could do that.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:41 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 282 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Pure magic cybercop, the female description of a Christmas tree ........................... or........................ the lights on a car dash

it never ceases to amaze me
Remember this....?

A few days ago, I was having some work done at my local garage. A blonde came in and asked for part # seven-hundred-ten part. We all looked at each other and another customer asked, "What is a seven-hundred-ten?"

She replied, "You know, the little piece in the middle of the engine, I have lost it and need a new one." She replied that she did not know exactly what it was, but this piece had always been there. The mechanic gave her a piece of paper and a pen and asked her to draw what the piece looked like. She drew a circle and in the middle of it wrote 710.

He then took her over to another car which had its hood up and asked "is there a 710 on this car?" She pointed and said, "Of course, its right there."

Old 03-27-2015, 07:41 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 282 Likes on 215 Posts

Turn 710 upside down it reads "OIL".

Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Ckps could do that.
Really? Your about the 3rd person I have read say that. That was reasoning for asking in the first place.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I personally vote no on the crank sensor. If that failed, your engine would still turn over / crank but just not start. If she had dash lights originally, and then "nothing" when key was turned to start, I would agree with shift lever not in park, or possible starter. Often when starters go, they are just gone forever, but a bad spot on the armature can cause them not to spin from the incomplete circuit. If the next time the starter ends spinning and stops NOT on that bad spot, the next time you go to start it, it will start.

Pretty much all you can do is wait for it to happen again, then head to the vehicle with test leads and see where the power is stopping: If the starter gets 12V when the key is turned to start and nothing happens, you know it's the starter. If you aren't getting voltage to the starter, start backtracking to see where the power is stopping.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, at a loss. Checked every connection I could and didn't find anything. I drove it around and stopped at various locations and can't get it to not turn over again.

Took my ODB/Torque app and pulled only one pending code. 1668. Something to do with AntiTheft stuff. Maybe related, not sure.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:50 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I personally vote no on the crank sensor. If that failed, your engine would still turn over / crank but just not start.
I find that funny because every time I've dealt with a crank sensor issue, you get nothing but dash lights.

OP, you could try heat soaking the engine bay if your cooling system is up for it. Run it with a blanket over the hood blocking the seams on the hood and most of the grill. Run for about 2-3 hours, then shut off and see if it restarts. If it doesn't, dump water on the CKPS And try to restart. If it still doesn't start, then I'm wrong and you just replicated your original problem.

Last edited by dgi 07; 03-28-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dgi 07
I find that funny because every time I've dealt with a crank sensor issue, you get nothing but dash lights.

OP, you could try heat soaking the engine bay if your cooling system is up for it. Run it with a blanket over the hood blocking the seams on the hood and most of the grill. Run for about 2-3 hours, then shut off and see if it restarts. If it doesn't, dump water on the CKPS And try to restart. If it still doesn't start, then I'm wrong and you just replicated your original problem.
Thanks for the advice, but I am not sure I am that brave. I will gamble with my life, but never with my money

The little lady is going to head out to spring break with some friend (and parents that are strict like me) and I plan on staying in town for work this week. I will just drive the crap out of the truck for the next week and see if I can get it to fail again. Thanks for the suggestions. Let's see if we can get it to fail it again.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by cybercop
Thanks for the advice, but I am not sure I am that brave. I will gamble with my life, but never with my money

The little lady is going to head out to spring break with some friend (and parents that are strict like me) and I plan on staying in town for work this week. I will just drive the crap out of the truck for the next week and see if I can get it to fail again. Thanks for the suggestions. Let's see if we can get it to fail it again.
I know, with a D2 and our "alternative" cooling systems, it's a tough test to willing do. I have done this test on at least 6 Mercedes this year alone, to test the CKPS and never have to worry about temperature, but with a rover, it's a helluva gamble. The part about dumping water on it if it fails, should work though... good luck and keep us updated.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, after driving around today, I didn't get it to not start, but did get it to throw a code. Wife and I drove it to dinner. No code the entire time. Ate then got back in and started up. Code flipped. P0734

REALLY!! Can a brother ask for some consistency!

So to recap:
Put key in and tried to start: Nothing, wouldn't even turn over
Friend tried to Jump: Nothing, except all the lights on the dash lite up and stayed on.
Let the truck sit:
Jump back in and cranked right up
threw code P1668. Cleared code.
Ran around all day today with no problems. Starting, driving, stoping, let it sit, repeat.
This evening drove to dinner, let the truck sit, started it back up P0734.

All could be unrelated, but I'm leaning towards some electrical gremlins!

Quick Reply: CKPS keep engine from turning over?