Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 08:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts
Default Cleaning heads

This is what I posted previously in my head gasket thread

This is pretty simple if time consuming

Tools
  • White 3M rolec disk and adaptor
  • Drill cordless or corded
  • WD 40
  • Scotch bright pad
  • Rags
  • Ice scraper
  • Spray on gasket remover - you may not need this it is like paint stripper for gaskets and toxic
  • Windex or cheap equivalent
  • Buffing pad for the drill
  • Micro mesh 8000 or higher
    Amazon Amazon
The process is pretty simple:
  1. Rags in the piston openings and water jacket
  2. Start with the plastic scraper get as much gasket material off as you can, it may be none that is ok
  3. Next the Rolec disk - keep it moving you will see circular swirl marks that is ok, use very light pressure
  4. Wipe the block down with windex and clean the disk every now and then the windex evaporates fast so you can get back to work
  5. Back to the scraper, then back to the Rolec this should get the gasket material off
  6. If you have no luck on step 2 to 4 breakout the evil chemical spray
  7. Once you have all the gasket material off clean with windex
  8. Take piece of Scotchbrite and soak it in Wd 40
  9. LIGHTLY run it long ways over the block - use more WD 40 as required
  10. Do step 9 just enough to get rid of the swirl marks - 2 or 3 passes should be enough DO NOT press down hard
  11. Clean with windex then buff with same
  12. Inspect your work make sure there is no gasket material left
  13. Finally soak the 12000 grit in Windex
  14. Take the 12000 grit and make the same 2 or 3 light passes adding windex as you go
After all of this you should end up with a nice clean smooth surface and no measurable amount of material removed,steps 8 through 14 are really just polishing. Composite gaskets want a good smooth surface.
Just take you time and stop when you are happy you can not get absolute perfection
I found a site or so referencing the use of a 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper rather than the White rolec disk. I noticed myself that the Rolec disk left circular marks behind, as I had a second bad head I decided to give sandpaper a shot.

1st up I checked the head 9 thou out in 1 place, sprayed that area with copper gasket seal and let set up.

Sanding process was very straight forward:
  • Soaked the head in windex - to capture sandpaper and aluminum dust - this is very fine and the windex stops it for traveling
  • 320 grint on a sanding block, a plastic sanding block works is best. I had originally indicated a good straight piece of wood without considering that can be very hard to find.
  • 2 passes then dry and re-windex this limits the material getting into engine nooks and crannies
  • I used a total of 10 passes
I found no significant change in head depth, but it is not perfect:
  • Any left over gasket material has to be removed with a scraper/chemical remover
  • You need a long sanding block which can be hard to handle
  • you need to be very careful to prevent the windex getting where it should not
The upside is it makes any scratching or other damage very easy to see.

I can not upload images right now,the stall at 90% but will add them later

Any thoughts or comments

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 02-11-2020 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-10-2020, 09:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

The steam cleaning tank at the machine shop seems to work out alright

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 10:20 PM
Camel Trophy

1st image is the overall head and the second is a close up of the low area and some of the pre-existing scratches

@robertf thanks for the photos, and yes the machine shop cleaning is always best, but I am not pulling my block so I need to clean that surface in place. With MLS gaskets you want a very clean and smooth surface on both sides.

I figure we can get some input from others make the next guys life easier

Old 02-11-2020, 02:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Using a piece of wood as a sanding block is a huge no-no. Think about how twisted most pieces of lumber are, or how many knots and depressions they have. You need to use a proper flat edge if you are going try and level a head

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy

@Llamasayswhat Yea I had not thought about places outside where I am, clean straight lumber is easy here. Thank you for your input

A proper sanding block is best, and to be clear this is about cleaning rather than leveling.

For anyone reading this if you need a head leveled - go to a reputable machine shop the odds of you getting it right by sanding is very slim unless you have huge patience.
It is very slow process, that takes constant checking with a steel straight edge and a good set of feeler gauges to make sure you do not add a wow.

The object of this thread is cleaning the head or block up nothing more

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 02-11-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Again, sanding with any grit attached to a non-level backer is a bad idea. We're dealing with thousandths of an inch for warpage and high/low spots. You can easily create or exaggerate issues with flatness by doing this.

DIY is great, but this isnt a good one...

Old 02-12-2020, 04:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

I found it best to use a flex drive with brass brushed to reduce any metal removal, it does take longer and few brushed but worth the effort , but looking at your photos as a first pass I would check out the dark portion with a magnetic dial gauge, by looking at it its only to confirm your head need a skim to get it back to flat

Old 02-12-2020, 08:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Richard, why have you not sent the heads out to a machine shop to have the valves and valve guides serviced and to have the heads checked for flatness?

Old 02-12-2020, 10:31 AM
Camel Trophy

@frostythor @mln01 thanks for the responses

Hi guys those heads were toast improper torque with TTY bolts had them 5 thou out of true. The max they can be milled is 19, so they became my test bed for cleaning. I need to get my block clean and seemed to be a good idea to test on the old heads.

Ideally the gasket will largely come way when you remove the heads, but I had huge chunks everywhere. To even check your heads for level you need to get them clean, hence this thread. Gasket remover and carb cleaner do a lot of the work but even then you need all the material gone to check.

In the case of the block the same you need all the material gone before installing new gaskets hence this discussion.

The same methods should work on cleaning up the other aluminum mating surfaces we deal with.

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 02-12-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:41 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Berryman chem dip in the gallon can is your friend. bristle brush soak rinse and repeat.