Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise 2001 disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 07:26 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clicking noise 2001 disco 2

So apparently what ever is clicking, it killed my battery again. Any ideas where to start looking?
I removed the airbag system many years ago.
What could it be?
Any thoughts about it would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-20-2023, 10:37 AM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertmcell
So apparently what ever is clicking, it killed my battery again. Any ideas where to start looking?
I removed the airbag system many years ago.
What could it be?
Any thoughts about it would be greatly appreciated
...my 2002 Discovery S2 SE has been clicking for quite some time now, let me know if any of these are similar to your situation... these are my findings so far; it comes from the big yellow relays in under dash fuse box, if removed, no clicking; it starts as soon as I put the key in to start, and keeps clicking until a few secs/mins after removing it; it is also present while driving; when turning signals or emergency lights are on, the clicking is a bit louder and persistent; activating windows or sunroof is an issue while clicking, since it makes them act intermittently; I have to "time" when I shifting out of "Park", since it also makes the gear lock actuator to act erratically, so bringing it out of "Park" gets very annoying; if I turn lights on, the clicking diminishes in sound and gets slower; long time ago it used to stop after driving for a while, but now is non-stop; it used to only happen during morning starts, but now every time I start; I have no issues starting my disco nowadays -battery-wise, although Advance Auto Parts battery testers show battery as "bad" and needs replacing, but it hasn't left me stranded since day one of clicking, nor has given me hard time starting up, except when negative cable used to get disconnected from terminal, so ended up replacing that cable altogether, since it was also moldy, but clicking still present; of course it is an electrical issue, but where exactly?; I have read or been told that a "bad battery" may cause this kind of behavior, plus I do see some other "electrical" mischief present (when activating turning or emergency lights, intermittent window/sunroof behavior, door locks erratic behavior, gear lock actuator erratic behavior, wipers erratic behavior, etc) ...I did replace the under dash fuse box a couple years back and it solved a "crank but no start" issue that kept truck parked for a couple months, but the clicking started long way after the fact with this new "used" fuse box; I recall experiencing it with previous fuse box, but not sure if changed battery then or if it simply went away; I do lean towards the "bad battery" theory, even though truck have been starting with no issues every day; but who knows, maybe AAP battery tester is right and they just don't want to push selling a battery to any of us? ...let me know if your situation is similar and hopefully we can solve it. ;-]#