Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking Relay 3 (interior)/interior lights flashing until car warms up

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 02:59 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clicking Relay 3 (interior)/interior lights flashing until car warms up

Hi Everyone,

I've had my Disco 2 since September 2017 and am very happy with it. Unfortunately, it's started doing something very annoying the last few months.

When I start it in the morning, Relay 3 (rear window) will click incessantly and the interior lights will flash until it warms up. It appears to be pretty widespread as the brake switch won't trigger the transmission solenoid unless I catch it between clicks.

After it warms up, these problems go away. Has anyone else had this problem? Removing the F13 interior fuse stops the clicking relay, but the lights will still flash.

I don't even know where to start looking for the problem. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Make absolutely sure your battery terminals are extremely clean and tight. Sounds like low voltage at startup to me or an issue with the fuse box under the dash.

The following users liked this post:
Armando (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 04:16 PM
Drifting

Thanks! That sounds like solid advice.

I'll start logging my voltage while clicking vs while not clicking. I have a bluetooth fm connector that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Is there any reason I shouldn't use that reading for my tracking?

With regards to the battery: the terminals used to be an issue but they are now very tight.

With regards to the fuse box: My local junkyard sells them pretty cheap and they get Disco 2 regularly. Should I just swap it out for a new "old" one?

Old 03-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Try locking and unlocking the doors a couple times before starting it. Lube all the actuators. Sounds like one doesn't think it's fully latched?

Maybe give all the doors a firm open and close

Cheap and easy to see if that changes the symptoms any

The following users liked this post:
Armando (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the idea. My power lock doesn't work on the driver's door. I wasn't in a hurry to fix it but will now move it to the front of the list.

I'm not too hopeful that will do it though. The clicking usually goes away after the car warms up. If I drive it 30 minutes to work, it'll usually go away by the time I get to work. Also, it won't click even after I let it sit for 4 hours and then go out to lunch.

I'd say it needs to sit for about 12 hours for the clicking to start.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:37 PM
Drifting

I have an update. The clicking was fixed by changing the fusebox. There's a young man named Joe who runs the South Florida Land Rover Club. He diagnosed it right away and fixed it for me. He's a nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:35 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Armando
I have an update. The clicking was fixed by changing the fusebox. There's a young man named Joe who runs the South Florida Land Rover Club. He diagnosed it right away and fixed it for me. He's a nice guy and very knowledgeable.
can you expand more on the fix. Like what was it ? A relay wire ? Fuse ?

Old 02-29-2020, 10:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
can you expand more on the fix. Like what was it ? A relay wire ? Fuse ?
i previously changed the relays and it did not fix the problem. It went away away after we replaced the entire interior fusebox. Please note not all interior fuseboxes are compatible. The 03-04 will not work for previous years.