General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flashing Side and Bumper Lights / No Door Lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:43 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing Side and Bumper Lights / No Door Lock

I am new to this forum and I hope I am publishing this question in the proper place. I have a 95 Discovery. During a heavy rain the side lights and the directional signals started to flash. Automatic door locks do not work. I believe the horn might sound if it were not for a bad clock spring. My mechanic replaced a relay about two weeks ago, the locks worked.
Now I have to take off the battery post because the lights will not stop blinking.
Any ideas of problem?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like a theft alarm system issue or inertia switch on firewall was triggered, press to reset. See Rave download, pdf file, directory "lj", file etlj950x.pdf (electrical manual for 95 Disco).

Old 09-15-2011, 10:31 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flashing side and bumper lights, no auto door locks

Once again the car is a 95 Discovery. I believe it is a relay problem. This is the second time this problem has occurred. First time was about 9 months ago. Alarm went off, lights flashed and automatic locks stop working. I locked and unlocked doors with key. Recently my mechanic replaced a relay and the remote door lock worked for about three weeks, then side lights started flashing. Any idea of what would cause a relay to go bad?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Relays are usually long life, 10,000 cycles or more. But if there is some sort of partial ground, corroded wire, etc. in the system you could have more current going through relay contacts than they are built to handle. Contacts can burn up, or become "pitted" from arcing, and "stick". Might not be enough current to blow the fuse, but enough to cook the relay. This would show up with an amp meter reading of the leads controlled by the relay. Also can have corrosion that reduces the voltage to the relay coil, which keeps it from "pulling in" and activating. As a rule, it takes more current to initially pull in a relay, and less to hold it energized. This would show up with a voltage reading on the coil terminals of the relay. You can also have fun things like a water or coolant leak that soaks the relay and causes problems. And then my favorite, fried ants. Ants get inside and become fried on higher volts relays, and the "carmelized" bodies keep the relay contact points apart.

The humble relay controls our world.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If the alarm were going off the horn would sound bad clock spring or not, the alarm does not press the horn pad to set it off.
Check all of your door switchs as well as the hood switch, if one of them is shorted out because of water it can set off the hazards.
If a door is not shut all the way the doors will not lock, a shorted out door switch may make the truck think a door is not fully closed.