Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clueless on transfer case install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

If you look in the rave manual when you get a chance there is a template for an adapter that bolts to the transfer cases odd angle and makes it flat on the bottom. I'm sure you could make it out of wood if you don't have metal working tools.

As a side note, if you remove the front and rear output assemblies before removing it, the almost empty housing is fairly light.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

One quick recommendation. If you're going to do this job yourself, take a few minutes to remove the complete drum brake assembly off the rear output assembly. You'd be surprised how many people never think of this. First, it will drop the weight of an LT230 down to just a little over 100 pounds. More improtantly, it will help with the overall balance when moving the transfer case into position for intstallation.

All it takes is removing the large screw that secures the drum to the backing plate. With that off there are four bolts that keep the backing plate on the rear output assembly. That drum brake assembly weighs about 45 pounds. That's almost a third of the total weight of an LT230!

Last edited by Paul Grant; 09-11-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:24 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonS
As a side note, if you remove the front and rear output assemblies before removing it, the almost empty housing is fairly light.
I guess you could disassemble the transfer case in situ before removing it but you're making a lot of extra work for yourself and you're still faced with installing a complete transfer case. I'm not sure I'd want to go about installing an LT230 piece by piece in the fashion of your removal process, on my back, under the truck.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If you want to use the jack adapter and don't have facilities to make one I have one that I can lend you if you want to pay shipping both ways plus a fully refundable deposit.
I feel like a heel asking for a deposit but have lent too many things I never got back, like a $200 diesel compression tester, so I have to cover my ***(ets).

Old 09-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Paul Grant, how much for a complete locking transfer case? Im going to have to drop mine to fix a input shaft seal leak so I might as well swap it out for a locking one while its out.