Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"clunk" in drive train

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012 | 12:43 AM
|
Rock Crawling
Default "clunk" in drive train

Symptom...
Back down the driveway, put in in drive and slowly drive away. Before the truck up shifts I remove my foot off the gas, there is a pretty hard clunk.
I have the fluid for the transfer case... Was going to change that anyway.
While I am under there I am going to also check the fluid level in he transmission.
The clunk occurs after the initial start up... It does not do it later in the day or once the truck is warmed up.
Some good advice and what to look for will be appreciated.

Old 05-03-2012 | 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

One or more U-joints. Front shaft is very suspect if it is stock (they split and spear a Big Mac sized hole in the tranny). Front shaft gets heat from the CATs. Tech section has good write up of rebuild methods.

Old 05-03-2012 | 07:52 AM
Administrator

A little clunk is normal, if you have never rebuilt or replaced your front drive shaft then I would do that along with a new centering ball and 4 u-joints.
By the way, how often do you grease the shaft? When did you last change all the fluids in your truck, as in a major service? If it has been awhile, don't go checking levels, do my major service posted at the top of this section, and do it all.

Old 05-03-2012 | 11:03 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Hey guys...
Thanks,
Drive shaft was replaced with one that is serviceable about 2 years ago. I gave the zircs a good greasing this afternoon and will report back tomorrow on the clunk being gone or not.
What is the best grease to use?
Is grease, grease? Or is there one better than the other?
I am using a cheap grease that came with the gun I'm bought at Home Depot... I think that is where I got it. Any opinion would be appreciated

Old 05-04-2012 | 07:14 AM
Administrator

The best synthetic grease you can find is best, like from Mobil1, Royal Purple and usually good marine grease and do it at every oil chage.

Old 05-04-2012 | 02:19 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Glad to report you guys were spot on. Clunk as I knew went away with the greasing of the drive shaft.
I am going ot pick up some better, synthetic grease today as per Mikes suggestion.
I grease these fittings even more often than every oil change. Leads me to believe the yellow lithium grease that came with the gun is less than adequate.
Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2012 | 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

IMHO the green sythetic grease that is water proof, fertilizer proof, etc., is also a good choice. Not that many Rovers romp through freshly plowed crop land, always a bad idea with angry farmers that have scopes...

Old 05-04-2012 | 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
IMHO the green sythetic grease that is water proof, fertilizer proof, etc., is also a good choice. Not that many Rovers romp through freshly plowed crop land, always a bad idea with angry farmers that have scopes...
Savannah, is that from personnel experience? Sounds like something you Georgia boys would do.

Old 05-05-2012 | 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

see Green Grease Racing!

Lots of things that work outdoors need grease, and this stuff hangs in there. Plenty of farm and field applications need a grease that can stand up to chemicals that are being applied to the crop land or pastures. I use it in just about everything "dear" - from boat trailers to Disco to anything powered by John Deere or dragged by it. Same for Kubota, Yanmar, Toro, and other diesel powered lawn mowers. When you see pix on here from time to time you will notice the green grease on fittings. Widely available.

Works great on rough terrain 4WD forklifts, like this guy that has about 130 grease fittings.

Attached Thumbnails "clunk" in drive train-948.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-05-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2012 | 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
see Green Grease Racing!

Lots of things that work outdoors need grease, and this stuff hangs in there. Plenty of farm and field applications need a grease that can stand up to chemicals that are being applied to the crop land or pastures. I use it in just about everything "dear" - from boat trailers to Disco to anything powered by John Deere or dragged by it. Same for Kubota, Yanmar, Toro, and other diesel powered lawn mowers. When you see pix on here from time to time you will notice the green grease on fittings. Widely available.

Works great on rough terrain 4WD forklifts, like this guy that has about 130 grease fittings.
I was reffering to 4wheeling in a farmers plowed field while they put you in their gun sights. I get the green grease.

Quick Reply: "clunk" in drive train