Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking/clicking drive train sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Clunking/clicking drive train sound

Guys - any help appreciated.... I searched here and other forums for this situation but nothing I could find on this exact situation.

Truck: 2004 D2 SE
91,xxx miles

Recent work: Brand new front prop shaft. New Drag link, main ball joints, new track rod and steering dampener.

Issue: Clicking or clunking noise when letting off the gas. Appears to be coming from the front left but not sure. The clunking happens only when Im going straight and not on the gas. I do not hear the clunking when I am on the accelerator, nor when on the brakes. Additionally, I do not hear it when I turn to either left or right. Only straight and not on the gas.

At first I thought it was going to be the faulty prop-shaft issue I have read about so much. When I replaced with a brand new unit today, the sound persists.

My next guesses are: 1) Faulty Universal/CV on the axle(s) (but I dont hear the issue when turning right or left) or 2) a warped rotor knocking the brake pads around?

Any other ideas friends?

Thank you!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 850 Likes on 619 Posts

Some amount of what you're describing is perfectly normal.

There is probably a better term for it, but there is a little bit of "slop" in the drivetrain.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mln01
Some amount of what you're describing is perfectly normal.

There is probably a better term for it, but there is a little bit of "slop" in the drivetrain.
I wouldn't call it slop so much, its a click/clunk that is based on the speed I am traveling. The faster I go, the faster the tick happens. So, something is definitely hitting something as it rotates. My main concern is, its getting louder as time goes by so I think its something I should be concerned with.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:09 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been chasing a noise that I would describe almost exactly the same way.. Only on coasting, not accelerating.

After 2 driveshafts, and a bunch of other troubleshooting, it turned out I was low on front diff fluid.. Maybe check that?

Old 07-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by joshcox19
I've been chasing a noise that I would describe almost exactly the same way.. Only on coasting, not accelerating.

After 2 driveshafts, and a bunch of other troubleshooting, it turned out I was low on front diff fluid.. Maybe check that?

Josh: Good advice. I just went out and changed completely that fluid in the front Diff. The old fluid was a little low and really black but sadly, the refill with new oil didn't solve the issue. I only drove it about 1/2 mile though...does it take a while for the new oil to seep in to places? I cant imagine it would take a while... so I guess Im open to other thoughts still.

Thanks Josh!

Old 07-09-2017, 05:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gmuiter
Josh: Good advice. I just went out and changed completely that fluid in the front Diff. The old fluid was a little low and really black but sadly, the refill with new oil didn't solve the issue. I only drove it about 1/2 mile though...does it take a while for the new oil to seep in to places? I cant imagine it would take a while... so I guess Im open to other thoughts still.

Thanks Josh!
Hmm, doubt it. I would expect it to work immediately if that was the issue.

Best of luck