Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pulley came off AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012 | 01:45 AM
|
Overlanding
Question Clutch pulley came off AC compressor

Hi all,

Been a loooong time since I have posted, surprised my username still works

I am hoping someone might have experience and can advise me here - on a regular check up what do I find but the clutch pulley (think that is what it is called) that attaches to the front of the compressor is just sitting there on the side. Since I don't recall it having shot through my hood like a missile, and there isn't any damage in the immediate area, I am guessing at some point in the distant past, whoever removed it (??) must have sat it there and forgot to put it back on. Not sure why it would have been removed, but there you are.

Or maybe it just worked itself off and politely flopped itself over to the side so as not to cause any undue bother (being British)

First the necessaries:

2002 Disco II td5, 202,000 km, automatic.

Question - for anyone with direct experience, hopefully:

I am told by the local Denso parts guy that the bolt to attach it is 16.5 mm long, threaded all the way, and should be able to source it at a hardware place.

What I DON'T know is this

1. Torque value? RAVE doesn't have that listed, since LR in their Wisdom consider it a single assembly. Failing that, does anyone know if it is meant to be on there super tight, or not?

2. Is there meant to be any sort of play or a spring or something, to allow the clutch to pull in when it engages? Use Loctite, or no?

3. Was the bolt designed to sheer, or did it just get old and I should be looking for a high-strength one?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice. I don't want to replace the full assembly, or even order a rebuilt, if I can just get the bolt and that manages to fix it. Summer is upon us here in Australia, so hoping to get this done quickly. If a picture would help, I can take one and post, no dramas.

Cheers guys!

Old 11-26-2012 | 01:46 AM
|
Overlanding

Ugh I see that my post count did get reset I guess that's what happens when you don't post for a couple of years...

Old 11-26-2012 | 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Perhaps this will give some clues.

Old 11-26-2012 | 04:26 PM
|
Overlanding

Hey thanks for that - so actually its what he is calling the "hub", first thing he took off. So looks as though the bolt is in there tightly enough to require an air wrench, but not so tight that he can't hold the hub against it while loosening.

So now, my remaining questions - does any one know about these "shims" that go in place in the hub (thickness, diameter, etc)? How about Loctite, would that be a good idea?

Thanks again Savannah, this is probably going to save me a ton of money and really demystified the whole thing! Cheers from Downunda!

Old 11-26-2012 | 05:51 PM
|
Overlanding

Hrm, this might answer my own question... dunno why this didn't come up before...

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jo...622_clutch.pdf

exploded diagram, dimensions, torque settings and clearances!!

Old 12-01-2012 | 07:41 PM
|
Overlanding

OK, 20mm long 10mm bolt, about .080 worth of washers, and 19 Nm. of torque and we are back in business! Sweet cold AC for less than $5 worth of parts, and summer is here with a vengeance in Oz! Thanks again Savannah!

Old 01-04-2013 | 03:18 PM
4wd Low
Default Hub missing from compressor

Hello Everyone

I had a similar problem just 15 days ago,but only found out until today while attempting to add freon gas, apparently the compressor hub came off while the Disco was rolling and who knows where it went, it sure did a lot of damage on the way out, damaged the viscous fan blades, chipped the belt pulley in three places, and apparently nicked a coolant hose, vacuum hose and damaged one of the O2 sensors, how can that happen?, the compressor still works.
Does anyone knows where I can get an A/C compressor hub replacement for a LR Disco II 2001? i would like to tackle that first then move on to the other problems, Also need a belt tension pulley.

Thanks in advance

Harvey

Old 01-04-2013 | 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Boneyard or dismantler - an AC compressor complete can't be much.

Old 01-14-2013 | 12:55 AM
|
Overlanding

Yeah, the dealer wanted something like $2000 for the whole unit and wouldn't just sell me the parts - luckily for me I had the plate and just needed the bolt and a shim, which I was able to cobble together out of bits from the hardware store.

If you can't get it from a wrecker, watsal, you might look up your local Denso distributor - I think that it is in fact a pretty common unit, and he/she might be able to at least point you in the right direction.

Still cranking out the cool air!!

adam

Old 01-14-2013 | 08:37 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Boneyard or dismantler - an AC compressor complete can't be much.
Found it in a YOU PICK BONEYARD, removal was too easy, i might have to take it off again from my Disco II and add loctite thread-locker to avoid a repeat. Any suggestions or recommendations?

A/C now blowing 52 degrees cold air (Verified with a concrete/asphalt thermometer at 82 degrees outside temp), anyone knows the correct cold air temp?

Forgot to mention the three parts cost me only $20.00 dollars (Front compressor hub/clutch, 10mm bolt and the shim)

Thanks
Harvey

Last edited by watsal; 01-14-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Clutch pulley came off AC compressor