Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

code 17..tps? help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation code 17..tps? help please

i recently purchased my 2nd 95' disco v8i and i have a check engine light popping up with a code 17 on the reader... i need to get this thing smogged in cali and no on here has a obdI reader dont wanna spend a$$ of money at dealership. code 17 refers to a tps problem so im told... i do have intermittent surging on acceleration rpms drop and rise uniformly.. Ive cleaned the tps and it looks to be in good shape but who knows what the insides look like.

anyways i need to know how to test this thing with a meter. also after cleaning the surging has stopped but the check engine light still remains and the code reader still says "17" anyway to manually reset check engine light?

im used to most disco electrical gremlins but this ones new to me any help would be much appreciated

thanks

ruditron

Old 03-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Mudding

about to go buy a obd i/ ii scanner does anyone know if the cables will work with the rover connector? if not what kind of scanner can be used with a obd I '95 disco? and where can you get it.

also... if the tps was fixed wouldnt the check engine light go away? or would it actually need to be reset?

Old 03-21-2009, 03:06 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

OBDII uses a universal plug that any reader can plug into. I have never seen an OBDI reader so I have no idea what to tell you on that.

Once the computer no longer senses a problem it will turn the CEL off. It may take a few cycles but it should reset automatically.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you Googles the OBDI codes/location for the Rover yet?
My wifes Volvo is both OBDI and II, under the hood there is a OBDI "box" that has a flashing LED. count the flashes and it will tell you the codes, but you have to know how many flashes for what code etc.
You can reset it at the "box", that is also how you reset the oil change light.
But it is much easier to just plug in a OBDII scanner since the car has both.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Mudding

no im pretty sure 95 disco's are obd 1 only i can seem to find any info on people using a diagnostic tool i know i can get one that works with both obd 1 and 2 but i don't know if the connector will fit the disco's or even where the disco's diagnostics plug location is... im guessing it might be under the passangers seat where the code reader is....?

any help?

does anyone kno of a OBDI reader that works with '95 disco?!?!?!?!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The OBDII port is under the drivers dash.
ALL OBD ports are universal, if it fits a Ford OBDI it WILL fit a Rover OBDI.
If it fits a Chevy OBDII it WILL fir a Rover OBDII.
They standardize these types of things for all cars.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

An OBD 2 scanner will not work. You will need to read the codes on the LED under the passenger seat.

here is how to reset the light.... http://www.robisonservice.com/servic...er_trouble.asp

Last edited by okdiscoguy; 03-21-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Mudding

thanks for the feedback. i unhooked battery to clear everything out this i fixed everything....fingers crossed the check engine light isn't coming back on and the code reader isn't spitting out any trouble codes as of yet....

took a day trip to Joshua tree Nat. park and put about 50-60 miles down went through about 12 start cycles at least and still nothing but crappy running due to disco re-learning all its weird fuel bits... we shall see...

on a separate note i have been worrying about an abs light that's been on for awhile. the guy that sold it to be said it was due to bad sensors but while i was checking all the connections i noticed the connector was not clipped all the way together cleaned it up snapped it together and what do you know no more anti-lock light.... amazing

still looking for an inexpensive obdI scanner could always come in handy... heard '95 disco's connectors dont mate up with them like the domestic vehicals due ..idk