Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P0705

Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL!!!! OMG that was way to funny!!! I happen to be using Leon Amber bottles, they have a better sound!! LOL!!

I am in the middle of cleaning the XYZ switch out again.. Like I said, it looks 100% perfect but giving it the old college try... Letting it dry out in the sun...

I have not seen Disco Mike online soooooo if you find him tell him if he can get to Cancun, we have a room, pool, good food and lots of Beer and 20 year old Tequila for him to enjoy his time here!! LOL!! Not to mention, our pool is 10 steps from our Disco 2!!! LOL!!! All for the chance to see live and in person a truly possessed Land Rover!! LOL!!!

I will be off and on all day Brother... I will keep you posted...

Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm wondering if the shift linkage is out of position (In Reverse when Expecting Park).

Also, does it turn over, but not fire? Crank Position Sensor? Also affected by water ingress.
Originally Posted by medic1567
My Wife and I are actually asking friends of ours that know a LR Mechanic that would like a nice place to stay in Akumal Mexico...
Are you currently located in Mexico? Answered Above. If you were close enough to me, I'd come give a hand diagnosing, but that's a bit far for me to travel at the moment.

Last edited by SuperSport; 02-14-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Overlanding

Hey SuperSport... The Spline on the gearbox was in Reverse but I think the XYZ switch was showing park maybe??? I looked and matched the XYZ switch to the Ausie forum showing the rebuild, It was 1 detent off of being in park.

As far as trying to start, I turn the key and nothing happens. I can hear the fuel pump, but no attempt to crank... But on the occasion that it does start up, it starts fine and very strong. No backfires, no missing it is running fine so yea, its a weird case...

Old 02-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Overlanding

Yes, we are in Mexico... Akumal Mexico, 65 miles south of Cancun... Vacation paradise!!!!!! LOL!!! We have a room, a pool and 3/4 miles away from the best beach in the world where you can swim with turtles....... Just saying!! LOL!

Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey SuperSport... The Spline on the gearbox was in Reverse but I think the XYZ switch was showing park maybe??? I looked and matched the XYZ switch to the Ausie forum showing the rebuild, It was 1 detent off of being in park.

As far as trying to start, I turn the key and nothing happens. I can hear the fuel pump, but no attempt to crank... But on the occasion that it does start up, it starts fine and very strong. No backfires, no missing it is running fine so yea, its a weird case...
Hey, the way you describe the truck sometimes turning over, really sounds like a starter going out. When the starer on my boat went out, I was able to get it started by having my wife hold the key forward (like she was trying to start it) and I tapped on the starter with a wrench and it turned over.

Could you humor me and try and do that real quick.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Overlanding

No Go on the starter tapping... I am really thinking it is the XYZ switch.... It is doing something different each time I clean it, re connect it and do any adjustments.. now I followed the diagram for it and it is in "Park" as soon as I hook the battery up, the reverse lights came on the vertical tail lights, I clicked it to the next detent which should have been "reverse" and the lights went out, then the next detent should have been neautral and the reverse lights came on again.... I think its messed up!!

Old 02-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No Go on the starter tapping... I am really thinking it is the XYZ switch.... It is doing something different each time I clean it, re connect it and do any adjustments.. now I followed the diagram for it and it is in "Park" as soon as I hook the battery up, the reverse lights came on the vertical tail lights, I clicked it to the next detent which should have been "reverse" and the lights went out, then the next detent should have been neautral and the reverse lights came on again.... I think its messed up!!

Yep, it sure sounds like the XYZ is the problem. I would check ebay for a good used one and throw it in and go from there. The computer not picking up it is in neutral or park would not allow it to crank.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Is the XYZ switch on these the same thing as the park/neutral switch on other vehicles? If this has a separate park/neutral switch, I would suspect that. (out of alignment, or broke/dirty)

Last edited by SuperSport; 02-14-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Overlanding

I think it is the monster as well... The only issue now is getting one... The mail service in Mexico is not like the USA and if they see a package from EBAY its free game... Looks like the wife or I will be headed to Jacksonville for a couple of days to round up the needed parts!!! Man this is bad bad timing!! LOL!! Thanks for the help!!

Old 02-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Overlanding

Would a Crank Position Sensor have anything to do with this or am I reaching to far??? just reading the workshop manual and it so happens I did bring one of those here with me!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Code P0705