Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil pack mounting screws. FINAL STRAW for shady Indy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 12:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coil pack mounting screws. FINAL STRAW for shady Indy.

Wow my Indy is SHADY SHADY SHADY!!! I put my kid's truck in shop for head gasket, water pump and plugs and wires. Mainly because I didn't have the time to get up to speed to undertake the HG job. I get the truck back and the following things I discovered. Oil fitting was not snapped on and I lost 5.5 quarts of oil instantly all over right side of engine bay. This happened the day after I got it back. I got that cleaned up. Next, I noticed exhaust leak and he said don't fix it because it would be leaking withing the month. I hate noises, so I taught my son how to change the gaskets and it is now quiet. Tonight, I was sitting at the light and noticed rough idle, SES light on and it steadily got worse like it was running on 7 cylinders. I get home to start checking plugs to find the culprit and when I pulled plug wire off of the #4, the diode was still on the plug. So now I am pissed because only about 500 miles on plug wires. Last straw, remember this shop JUST CHANGED MY PLUGS AND WIRES. I was removing the wires from coil packs and I find the fricken coil pack just effing sitting behind intake, not bolted down. I have been trying to track this little rattle down and I bet a dollar to donuts that this is the dang rattle I have been chasing.

I need to by the mounting screws and need to confirm if they are M6 X 12mm. Can you tell me 8f this is correct?

Old 04-17-2016, 09:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

I just referenced RAVE but could not locate any mention of "size" of bolt.

Here are some images that may help.

Worse comes to worse, use high quality zip ties.

As far as the rattling goes, this could potentially be the culprit.

Last edited by coors; 04-17-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lr3_ovrlnd3r
Wow my Indy is SHADY SHADY SHADY!!! I put my kid's truck in shop for head gasket, water pump and plugs and wires. Mainly because I didn't have the time to get up to speed to undertake the HG job. I get the truck back and the following things I discovered. Oil fitting was not snapped on and I lost 5.5 quarts of oil instantly all over right side of engine bay. This happened the day after I got it back. I got that cleaned up. Next, I noticed exhaust leak and he said don't fix it because it would be leaking withing the month. I hate noises, so I taught my son how to change the gaskets and it is now quiet. Tonight, I was sitting at the light and noticed rough idle, SES light on and it steadily got worse like it was running on 7 cylinders. I get home to start checking plugs to find the culprit and when I pulled plug wire off of the #4, the diode was still on the plug. So now I am pissed because only about 500 miles on plug wires. Last straw, remember this shop JUST CHANGED MY PLUGS AND WIRES. I was removing the wires from coil packs and I find the fricken coil pack just effing sitting behind intake, not bolted down. I have been trying to track this little rattle down and I bet a dollar to donuts that this is the dang rattle I have been chasing.

I need to by the mounting screws and need to confirm if they are M6 X 12mm. Can you tell me 8f this is correct?
Web search says m6x1.0
a good set of wobble extensions are very useful. Also a telescoping magnet. Made bolting/unbolting coils much simpler.

Last edited by jamieb; 04-17-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieb
Wish I knew the size but a good set of wobble extensions are very useful. Also a telescoping magnet. Made bolting/unbolting coils much simpler.
It is, in fact, M6 X 12mm. I hate half a$$ work.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My notes say they're 8mm head bolts securing that coil bracket to the upper intake manifold, assuming that's what you're talking about.