Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Pack Relocation (For much easier access)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 12:38 PM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by kcabpilot
To begin with, I don't really understand why everyone is so hell fired up to change their plug wires anyway. I went 100,000 miles and never had a single coil pack or plug wire problem. These are things that you normally do not mess with much. The position of the coil packs, I suspect, has something to do with protection during river fording.

Now, any of you might think you know a better place but based on what?

Even if you did, if you had more experience and expertise and were smarter than all of the people that work at Land Rover - well first you'd have to figure out where you were going to move the packs to. Then you'd have to adapt or fabricate a mount after which you'd have to splice in and extend the two engine harness connectors. Then there would be the plug leads themselves. Unless you were some sort of mathematical genius and had figured out an ideal new mounting position so that ALL of the ignition wires for a standard Discovery would perfectly reach all of the intended spark plugs you'd have to fabricate a custom set, along with supports and guides.

So after all of that work and expense you finally have the coil packs in an accessible position with new wires and guess what....nothing ever went wrong with them, you never needed that easy access.

What's the point?
I 100 percent agree with you. I have owned 7-8 disco 2s in the last 20 years. If I'm doing wires I just lay a couple pieces of foam gym mats on top of the engine, slide the engine harness out of the way, and use a door panel tool to remove the wires. Reinstall not bad either.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:07 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Relocation for 99.9% of disco 2 owners

Sorry, you make it sound like your knowledge is above the rest of us. On my 01 disco 2 the #8 coil was bad. After 171,000 miles, I thought it was time to change it. My Disco 2 has never been off road, yet!
As I respect most people who write in 99.9%, there's always one person who knows more than anyone else.
The relocation kit worked for me and I'm sure 99.9% of other people.
Best of luck.01%

Old 09-19-2023, 04:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow - a lot of drama in this thread. The coil pack relocation kit available moves the coils near / slightly above the center of alternator. The alternator, for example, won't survive lot of water. If you get water that high in the engine bay, you're probably going to have more to worry about than wet coils.

I had a coil relocation kit on my 4.6 before my LS swap. The reason I chose to install it was because I had to replace a dead coil pack (~160k mi) which was going to be a pain. I decided to move the packs to make replacement easier and future-proof it should one of the new packs fail (nothing is as good as original OEM these days). The cost of the kit at the time was reasonable and it was a lot less work to abandon the old packs in place and install new ones in the new location. The new location provided better air movement which would hopefully extend the life of the probably-not-as-good-as-OEM coils. If I were just replacing a mouse-chewed wire would I have done a relocation? Probably not because you can swap the wires without removing the intake manifold.

Based on my experience with actually relocating the coils, the new location doesn't put the coils at any more risk of failure from water than the original location puts them at risk of failure from heat.

If you want to move the coils, move them. If you want to leave them, leave them.

The following users liked this post:
Roont (10-02-2023)