Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Modifications to Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sickws6
I dont think he was going for power but rather efficiency. Cooler the air the denser the air resulting in more oxygen entering the combustion chamber.

I don't think efficiency will be altered. According to this thread

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...tes-bad-74821/

even at high altitude, where the air is much thinner MPG stays the same. Meaning the cars engine is demanding the correct amount of fuel to match the incoming air (oxygen).

While you are right, colder is denser, the engine will just burn less fuel to match the oxygen intake amount.

Which has intruged me BtW. That's stoichiometry for you!

Old 07-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

has any removed the blanket under the hood to see if that makes any difference?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

On my previous 03 D2 the famous delicate airbox lid broke, and at the time I didn't have the $$$ to fix it so I just bought a K&N that fit onto the end of the MAF. I removed the lower part of the airbox, and made a bracket for the MAF to rest on. I didn't have a ScanGauge or UltraGauge at the time, but I never had issues with water or heavy rains.

Now I've got an 04 D2 and yep the only thing under the hood held together with zip ties from the previous owner is the airbox to MAF connection. I'd rather spend 150.00 on making my own intake tube, and fab up a shield vs buying another plastic airbox lid that will break again.

I had an 05 Jeep Rubicon, and I installed an AFE CAI which put the cone filter right up at the crack of the hood. I never thought about it until I went thru a really really really bad rain storm. When I stopped at a gas station I decided to check under the hood and I found the air filter completely soaked!!!! I ended up selling the AFE and went with a Banks CAI which covered the filter except for the side opening. It certainly didn't sound as good, but it kept my filter dry.

I'd like to make a Banks CAI copy cat for a LR. I also use pre filters now on all my exposed filters as a pre caution.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

I've done all the gas mileage tests and can confirm that there is, indeed, no gas mileage improvement. At all. It didn't change in the slightest.

That said, there WAS a power improvement. Not noticable on the bottom end, but definitely noticable on the top end (over, say 2.5k-ish RPM. Can't remember exactly).

A drycharger or some kind of prefilter is definitely a good idea, especially if you are off road a lot. I simply don't have one because of the money it costs and because mine is almost exclusively a pavement rig. I do take it off road and plan to more in the future, but right now it's my DD.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Yeah I'm not after MPG improvement. Just wanna come up with a better solution vs the OEM brittle plastic air box lid.

In a pinch or on the cheapside a black knee high pantyhose works very good as a pre filter!

Old 07-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Camel Trophy

I never thought of that! I do everything I can on the cheap side, I'll have to try that out. Might even spray some camp dry on them to help with water repelling.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, thanks for the ideas.

I guess a K&N is the simplest solution, though I did find this tutorial that seems pretty applicable.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Camel Trophy

That seems kinda interesting. If you just modify the stock intake then come back and throw us a couple pictures, or whatever you do for that matter. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:40 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with ACG. From what I've read, the Air-Snorkel gives lower air-temps because the source air isn't from the engine bay, and helps with off-roading by keeping the low dust kicked up by your caravan away from your intake source.

This is the problem with true CAI on off-roaders: Picks up lots of dust and potentially water.

The downside to a snorkel, is that you want efficiency, you are going to trade intake air temperatures at the expense of the inefficiency of the pipe run.

This is why the engineer's put the filter where it was. The best compromise between intake-run pipe losses, filtration, and water ford height.

I'll still probably do the Snorkel mod because it's cool looking, cooler temps, and less dust. I don't use my Disco for daily highway driving anymore so MPG/efficiency isn't as important anymore as off-road performance.