Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold engine rev issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold engine rev issues

The other morning my 03 Discovery 2 had a issue whilst starting. The ignition came on fine but the engine just ticked over before starting up after 6 or 7 seconds. Then the engine would not rev between 750 and 1500 revs unless you put your foot through the floor to get it going.
Now when the engine will start as soon as the coil light has gone off but the engine wont rev prior to getting to 1500 revs and when it does go I put most of my small village under a cloud of smoke. When the engine is warm there are no issues with the vehicle at all. Once warm the engine will rev from idle. I have checked all the fuel pipes/seals and not one is leaking. The air filter is clean and look's new, the glow plugs also all seem ok. I have no loss of power when the vehicle is running and it does not cough or splutter after 1500 revs when the engine is cold. There is also no apparent new leek of any fuel/oil/lube from the vehicle as the driveway is clean and i'm not losing any diesel while it is stood but the MPG has gone down while driving but there is no fuel leek. Any suggestions/idea's before I have to put it on a diagnostic machine?
From viewing the forum I believe the 2003 TD5 engine has no fuel filter situated under the wheel arch to check.
Could it be a faulty fuel injector or pump. If so any clues how to check.

Oh I have downloaded the rave manual but the computer is having issues opening it.. arrgghhhh technology

Mark

Old 04-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Mudding

Although I have a gas engine, not many diesels here in the US, my truck suffers from the same thing. It's probably a bad idle air control motor but I haven't got around to replacing it...

Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What you are describing is perfectly normal for a cold diesel engine, the colder it is the worse it is.
Diesel engines HATE the cold, thats why they start hard in cold weather and smoke excessively if left idling in cold weather.

I have no idea where you are, but if it is winter time and this is your first winter with a diesel, get used to it, they need to warm up.
Start it, let it idle until it smooths out, then drive slowly until normal engine temp is reached.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:21 AM
2nd Gear

Cheers for the replies.
After changing the fuel filter, checking the fuel injectors, checking the fuel pump, air and turbo filter they all seemed fine. Took the vehicle to the garage for the diagnostic and all was clear. It seems that as I live on a great big steep hill the vehicle is not keen on being parked engine up. Once starting the engine it's pulling air rather than diesel into the injectors hence the rev issues.
No idea if this is a regualr problem but it seems to be in the UK with diesel engines and great big steep hills.
On the plus side I now know my way around the fuel system thanks to the aids on here.