Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold tick... Where to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 10:53 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Cold tick... Where to start

Replaced exhaust gaskets but the next morning tick was back. Only ticks when cold and only for the first half mile.

Top 2 tests this week are running with belt off since I am replacing the alternator.

Banging on the cats when cold.

Ticks in time with rpm but I swear I heard it go out of sync a couple times.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

It could be a slipped liner. I had the same thing. When I did my head gasket change I inspected the the sleeves and everything seemed fine. I switched over to full synthetic and added a bottle of ProLong and I installed a 180 degree thermostat. So far I haven't heard the tick at all.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:27 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Prob not a liner if it stops as it warms up. Liners usually behave just the opposite.

Where is it ticking? Have you poked around with a stethoscope? Which gaskets did you replace, head/manifold or manifold/Y-pipe, or both?

Old 04-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Winching

My liners are pinned and it's worse when cold so doubt it's liners.

Only did the flange gaskets

Old 04-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

In that case, have you checked the others? What you describe sounds just like an exhaust leak that I had. My gaskets tend to squish out over time.

If you change them, I've had better luck with the laminated metal type that cover a pair of ports. The single perf metal/composite type lasted only a few months for me.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:31 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Red5
In that case, have you checked the others? What you describe sounds just like an exhaust leak that I had. My gaskets tend to squish out over time.

If you change them, I've had better luck with the laminated metal type that cover a pair of ports. The single perf metal/composite type lasted only a few months for me.
I agree I'm pretty sure it's exhaust. It was very quiet when I picked it up after having the gaskets done but then again it wasn't stone cold like first thing in the morning. I did use the smooth gaskets

Old 04-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Do you have SAI? try a stethoscope at those junctions. I usually use the stethoscope tube only for this, metal rod removed. Exhaust leak is also likely. Maybe try using copper spray-a-gasket next time

Old 04-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Slipped liner is probably the least likely reason. These ticks are hard to spot, because revving up drowns our the tick.

My old Purge Valve ticked. I have had exhaust ticks at the Manifold/Y pipe junction, but those got louder when warm.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:26 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

I have to agree slipped liner is on the far end, a cold tick is lifters or exhaust. Both will quiet out once things warm up, exhaust manifolds leaks in particular get quiet after a few minutes of running. Lifters can tick with cold oil then quiet once things get warm,they should not but sometimes they do,it was more of a problem with the old single weight oils though.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Same on mine. Ticks only cold. No SAI. Fades away when hot. Will keep an eye on this thread for diagnostic successes... Until then, will find what was it when something finally explodes.

Quick Reply: Cold tick... Where to start