Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collecting Engine Replacement info/ options

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Collecting Engine Replacement info/ options

Can someone post info on legitimate options to replace the 4.6? Info wanted for viewers to have if/ when the time comes to replace their motor whether small or long block would be:

- Typical/ average labor for a pull/ replacement short vs. long block
- Legitimate Motor rebuilds ex. Turner, RPI etc with short/ long block cost
- Legitimate Shops- whether to send vehicle out for rebuild or compare to a local shop for labor to replace motor

- Stories of do(s) and don't(s) when confronted with the forced issue to replace a motor.

I figured that this is the most costly dilemma facing a Disco owner and for us viewers. It helps to hear opinions of success stories and unsuccessful stories. It also gives opinions on valuable options when confronted with an important decision. It's stressful enough knowing that it eventually will have to be dealt with if you choose to keep your vehicle long term.

Thanks-

Last edited by Zonk872; 01-25-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

For a lot of owners of high miles diminished value vehicles the cost of engine swap will be too high to justify. If you are driving an old, tired Rover, you can get another "runner" for not much money (not to be confused with a 4 Runner). Many D1's are in this price range, and D2's are moving there.

That said, we just had a post of one what not to do, use top half of a GEMS engine and lower half from newer engine, and expect ECU not to notice.....

Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That certainly is a legitimate point. I guess it boils down to how long the vehicle is intended to be kept and wallet size. It looks like ball park budgets could be:

used motor/labor up to ~$5-6K
rebuilt short block/labor ~$7k or more
rebuilt long block/labor approaching $10K

I have an 03' with 50740 miles and it's in great shape minus some cosmetic parts. Oil pressure is good with the specs. given 50's start up cold idle and low 20's at warm idle. It is in the bad vin range. Original head gasket. Only time will tell if/when I have to replace the head gasket and how long the oil pump will last. It could be one of those that lasts to 100k and then again not. My situation is that we borrowed against it and it will either be a keeper and one day I'll have to assess the cost of how to fix it. Just trying to find out some success stories and get a legitimate source of who to go to when/if the time comes to replace motor.

l