Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

common front engine oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default common front engine oil leaks

After recently tightening my valve covers down and giving the whole engine a good scrubbing, I can see I have 1 leak source left. It's coming from the front around the center of the engine but I can't tell how far down. I'm seeing a drip down onto some plastic cover and eventually onto the panhard rod, then over to the end of that and giving me a nice spot on the cardboard. There is also a small flow down onto the oil pan. Just a matter of time before it shows as a spot on the floor but I'm thinking it's all from the same source.

Wondering what the common leaks points in this area are? Timing cover would be my guess if I want to stay positive. Unfortunately with the little I've learned about landrovers in the last few days, my real guess is that EVERYTHING is a common leak point.

I'll do some more investigation and possibly some pics tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The front crankshaft seal is a good leaker, and it can whirl it off as well. The front cover can leak. If you decide to re-seal the front cover, consider replacing oil pump. One of the known problems is a tick or just plain loss of oil pressure from a cracked pump.

Attached Thumbnails common front engine oil leaks-oil-pump.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 05:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can replace the front seal with the timing cover still on the block, and i dought with 76k miles you have any need for an oil pump. Oil pump problems are predominantly a problem for 03 and some 04, not every Disco needs an oil pump. Remove the belt, the front pully, remove the seal and reverse. Oh be sure to break the bolt on the crank shaft pulley BEFORE you remove the belt. good luck