Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely locked out of the disco! Battery fully charged. Key won't turn in lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Completely locked out of the disco! Battery fully charged. Key won't turn in lock

Good morning! Terrible actually

So I'm locked out of the discovery completely. Pressing the buttons on the fob does nothing besides light up the red led and I have tried putting in a new battery *in the fob* just in case and I get the same result.

All doors are locked and the key barely wiggles inside the lock on the door but it will not turn. I tried the spare and it does the same thing.

Backstory: I swapped out the SLS for a OME lift a ~3 weeks ago. I found out after the first couple days my battery was draining so every couple of nights I've been letting it sit with the battery connected to a trickle charger. Last night I did the same thing I have done a few times before. Hood is up and I lock the doors, hear the honk, then the next morning I disconnect the charger, unlock, and head to work. This morning I walked out and pressed unlock and didn't hear anything... thought maybe I didnt press the button well enough and disconnected the charger (green fully charged indicator was on) closed the hood, turn signals flashed, and tried to unlock again... nothing. Lock button and unlock button both do nothing besides light up the LED on the fob. Key will not turn in the door lock. So now im stuck outside the vehicle. Does anyone have any ideas? I've searched and heard of people connecting a battery to the started. I'm not sure what this would do for me since the battery is fully charged.

Any help is appreciated. I have no ideas. I don't even know if breaking through a window would help me at this point.

Oh and the LED on the dash is blinking as if superlocked but no combination of button presses on the FOB has done anything.

EDIT: the lock not turning issue could have existed for a long time now. I don't think I have ever unlocked the door with the key before. I've had the discovery for a year now.

Last edited by meat; 10-24-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Get yourself some lock lube, insert the squirt tube where the key goes in and soak the mechanism. Probably a bit seized from non-use. Don't go breaking windows until you try a little harder to open the door manually. The key should open the door and disarm the security system simultaneously. Try the spare key also as the edges may be a little sharper.

The following users liked this post:
meat (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 10:02 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Fast951
Get yourself some lock lube, insert the squirt tube where the key goes in and soak the mechanism. Probably a bit seized from non-use. Don't go breaking windows until you try a little harder to open the door manually. The key should open the door and disarm the security system simultaneously.
So there's no "safety" feature that could make it so the lock couldn't turn?

Old 10-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by meat
So there's no "safety" feature that could make it so the lock couldn't turn?
None that I'm aware of.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:08 AM
Mudding

ok thats good news. That will be my next move as soon as I get home today.

The LED on the dash is blinking as if superlocked so even if I get inside I probably won't be able to start the car since I can't disable it with the FOB. I guess I can then disconnect and reconnect the battery and hope to reset something...

Old 10-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts
The following users liked this post:
meat (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Fast951
Get yourself some lock lube, insert the squirt tube where the key goes in and soak the mechanism. Probably a bit seized from non-use. Don't go breaking windows until you try a little harder to open the door manually. The key should open the door and disarm the security system simultaneously. Try the spare key also as the edges may be a little sharper.
Lubricant doesn't seem to be making a difference. I also put another brand new battery in the fob just to make sure.. Fob still doesn't lock or unlock the truck.

Red dash light blinking

Possibly a dumb question.. Would this dash light blink even if the main battery was disconnected?

Last edited by meat; 10-24-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you tried another key? I know that my door lock seems to prefer one key over the others. The key not turning in the lock is a simple problem. Either corrosion or poor match between key and cylinder are the cause.

Also, if you don't already have a backup key, now's the time to make one. You could make a bad situation worse if you damage your only key by wrenching on it.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:37 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by squirt
Have you tried another key? I know that my door lock seems to prefer one key over the others. The key not turning in the lock is a simple problem. Either corrosion or poor match between key and cylinder are the cause.

Also, if you don't already have a backup key, now's the time to make one. You could make a bad situation worse if you damage your only key by wrenching on it.
Yep I have tried the spare key that is practically new but not programmed. It won't turn either.

Part of me thinks the key isn't going in far enough (again I don't think I've ever actually unlocked it manually before so excuse me for this one). It wiggles quite a bit but won't turn more than a few degrees.

Attached Thumbnails Completely locked out of the disco!  Battery fully charged.  Key won't turn in lock-img_20161024_124755491_hdr.jpg  
Old 10-24-2016, 12:53 PM
Mudding

here's a rundown on what happened so hopefully you folks will still be interested in helping me out.

- last night locked the truck with the hood open while connected to battery charger
- went to unlock first thing this morning and nothing happened when I pressed the button
- battery charger indicated full battery
- *battery terminals are old and dont get tight enough but I highly doubt they decided to fly off this morning when I closed the hood. Never had connection issues
- disconnected charger and closed the hood, turn signals flashed
- nothing happens when I press lock or unlock on the FOB besides the FOB's LED flashing (brand new battery in FOB)
- red LED on dash flashing as if superlocked (I dont know why else it would be flashing)
- key will not turn more than a couple degrees in door lock. Appears to not be going in all the way. I can't imagine it could be forced in any farther.

If I open the hood through the grill will the alarm definitely sound and will disconnecting the battery turn it off? The fob doesnt seem to be capable of anything.

If I get under the hood could disconnecting the battery reset the alarm? Shouldn't my fob work no matter what sort of thing is going on?

From searching around I feel like I'm in the situation where my battery has died or disconnected while the truck was superlocked.. but the red dash LED is flashing.

Last edited by meat; 10-24-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Completely locked out of the disco! Battery fully charged. Key won't turn in lock