Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerning new engine sound - help me diagnose!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:21 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerning new engine sound - help me diagnose!

My good friend's discovery 2 has started to make a new bad sound in the engine compartment today. Due to tough personal circumstances, I'm trying to support his family and help make sure their car keeps running. Any chance the landroverforums hive mind could help point me in the right direction for what this sound may be?

https://youtu.be/TYsmKGoiaZo

We're going to start off by removing the serpentine belt to see if it's being cause by one of the accessories (A/C, alternator, power steering pump, etc.). Hopefully it's just a simple part interference and not a more significant valve issue or anything like that.

Thanks for any support!

Old 08-13-2017, 08:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Check around the fan, sounds like something hitting the blades

Old 08-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 963 Likes on 641 Posts

No speakers on my computer to listen to it, but if it's something hitting the fan it might be the fan shroud. About a year and a half ago there was a rash of people coming through with fans exploding and taking out hoses, power steering pump, radiators, etc. Make sure all the little mounting bits are still there that hold the top half of the shroud and try not to drive it till it gets fixed. Exploding fans cause a lot of other damage. That's why I went electric.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
No speakers on my computer to listen to it, but if it's something hitting the fan it might be the fan shroud. About a year and a half ago there was a rash of people coming through with fans exploding and taking out hoses, power steering pump, radiators, etc. Make sure all the little mounting bits are still there that hold the top half of the shroud and try not to drive it till it gets fixed. Exploding fans cause a lot of other damage. That's why I went electric.
I have to use zip ties since the bolts are long gone. I know that sound lol

Old 08-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Twix
Check around the fan, sounds like something hitting the blades
You can see the fan has already chewed through the shroud.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,217 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
You can see the fan has already chewed through the shroud.
That or it's the first fan shroud with an inspection window I've ever seen.

Check to make sure it's mounted properly and securely. Also check the fan to make sure there isn't some wobble there like a water pump bearing going out.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I didn't watch the video, but if your fan is hitting the shroud, you more than likely have bad/broken motor mounts. Check those too

Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
I didn't watch the video, but if your fan is hitting the shroud, you more than likely have bad/broken motor mounts. Check those too
Yep we have contact.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:48 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

I had an episode where the fan is hitting the shroud but totally different and hardly you will hear the fan touching it until all the plastic get chewed. I think its more of a lifter noise. Just go get a cheap stethoscope from autozone to check the location where the actual sound is coming from.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks everyone so much for the help. Super appreciated. I'm really glad to say that I don't think it's a valve issue! Phew. Super relieved. Would have been a very bad time for that.

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
That or it's the first fan shroud with an inspection window I've ever seen.
Hahaha ArmyRover+OverRover : D Yeah, clearly there was so interference here. I don't know if that's old or new, but what I do know is...

I noticed that the belt in my friend's rover was flopping pretty crazily between the tensioner and the alternator. Sure enough, the tensioner seems to be bottomed out and the belt was quite loose.

When I swapped it for a spare belt I had (always keep a spare handy!), the sound went away for the most part. Problem solved! Kind of. The belt is still super loose...

Why is my rover's belt so much tighter than my friend's? I swapped belts between the rovers and mine was still tight and his still loose.

So, either he has a smaller than average pulley () somewhere, or maybe somehow the spacing between the pulleys is wrong?

Comparing his pulleys to mine, though, they all seemed like the same sizes so I'm at a loss. Oh and I checked the fan and some other pulleys bearings - all seem securely mounted (not being pulled off-center)

I know that for our non-ACE discos, there is a small idler and a big idler. Maybe I can swap in a big idler for his small one to take up more belt length?

Or maybe instead of our Dayco 5070923 belt (92.32" effective length) I could get a Dayco 5070905 (90.55" effective length)? Not sure if this would be too short or if the tensioner has enough travel.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Concerning new engine sound - help me diagnose!