Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a DII purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a DII purchase

Hi...I'm Paul. Never posted here and I have never owned a LR but I am considering purchasing a Discovery 2 and I am having a hard time finding some accurate information about the truck. Can anyone chime in with how they like their car and any suggestions on what I should look for in a car. I am not looking to do any crazy off road driving I am just looking for a sturdy vehicle that I can haul stuff around in. I am really trying to get some impressions, thoughts and/or suggestions from current and knowledgable owners as opposed to an arbitrary review online.
Thanks.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default oopps..

"I am just looking for a sturdy vehicle that I can haul stuff around in"

You picked the wrong truck for your needs... They are defiantly not for hauling ...and space wise...I have 2 good friend who just traded in there brand new land rover sport and another traded in a LR3 as they don't have enough room for 3 small kids... that should tell you something ....if you need to haul stuff around...buy a real truck with a "bed' in the back to haul stuff...d2's are money pits....with a huge appetite....

Old 03-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
"I am just looking for a sturdy vehicle that I can haul stuff around in"

You picked the wrong truck for your needs... They are defiantly not for hauling ...and space wise...I have 2 good friend who just traded in there brand new land rover sport and another traded in a LR3 as they don't have enough room for 3 small kids... that should tell you something ....if you need to haul stuff around...buy a real truck with a "bed' in the back to haul stuff...d2's are money pits....with a huge appetite....
You probably the most vocal D2 owner I've seen on the forums. I think you kinda say what we all are trying not to believe ahahah.

Whatever though my D2 is hotness.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Mudding

I like my truck, and I got to drive it once.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Paul,

A high miles Disco is a lot of work to get back to where it should be. Once at that point you have to spend more time on upkeep of this than you may have been used to on other vehicles. If you are not planning on being a DIY mechanic this will be a very expensive vehicle to own. MPGs are in the 12 - 17 range. Parts are quite high, because they didn't make a lot of them. They are sturdy. They haul less inside than many other SUVs. Would suggest you drive several of them before purchase. We have the whole set of factory shop and owner's manuals, called the RAVE, in the download below.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not really...

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
You probably the most vocal D2 owner I've seen on the forums. I think you kinda say what we all are trying not to believe ahahah.

Whatever though my D2 is hotness.
Not that vocal...but i call it like i see it... I like mine and have owned for over 12 years different land rovers.....i didn't drink the cool aid though.... It's like people that own expensive cars..they are in the shop allot and when the bill comes ... iT's not Mc Donald's......

Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I just picked up a 2004 Disco myself but I think I may have different imprrlessions than the OP. First of all, I'm coming from a 95 Jag so I'm used to 'needy' cars. Sounds like you want a Japanese pickup truck. Tough, sensible, reliable, cheap. I wasn't looking just for a truck, to me this will be a hobby. I'm a DIY kinda guy. Do what others have suggested and test drive a few. You'll know it after 20 minutes of being in it. I just picked up a 2004 Westminster and maaaaan is it a beaut! Knew it as soon as I slid into it, just like a pair of hand crafted Italian shoes.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys,
I might have been a little misleading when I used the word "haul". I am not moving bricks and dirt...I have a big messy dog and make frequent Home Depot runs. I have driven Saabs for years, I'm sort of done with the American car thing, dont want Japanese, and German suv/trucks are out of my price range. So that is why I am considering a LR. As for British engineering...I bought a Triumph motorcycle against many people's better judgement and it has been far superior to any Suzuki I have ever had.
So that why I was asking around here
Thanks for all the comments. Feel free to keep them coming.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a cherokee with an inline 6 and never look back.