Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:30 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a Discovery

Hey guys. I'm 16 years old and i'm looking for my first car. I really like the look of the discovery, but i dont know too much information on them. I really like the '99 version. But i'm not sure if i'll like the the newer versions better. If yall have any input on this it would be greatly appreciated. What year should i get? Should i get a I or II? Ive heard theres like SE and HSE versions, what are the differences ? And if i do get one, what modifications should i make to it? I'm not good with working on cars myself, so i would have to pay someone to do it. Basically, any information or advice yall have would be appreciated.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Considering a Discovery

Well a DI would be cheaper to maintain. However if you can not do the work or are not willing to learn then you dont want a Land Rover.
All Land Rovers REQUIRE premium gas.
Do a search on this forum for "noob" and "looking to buy".
Bottom line though, if you cannot work on the truck yourself you will not beable to afford to drive it. 98% of the repairs can be done by a shade tree mechanic.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:08 PM
8th Gear

get a 99 d1 if you have the opportunity. Remember that it will cost 80 bucks to fill the tank and get 300 miles out of it.

They are fun to drive off road. If you have anyone in your neighborhood that owns one, become their friend. Do some research. Know what you are getting in to. It is a commitment...

I got mine when I was 32 and it is a strain on my pocketbook because I want it tip top.

Get the maintenance history on the truck and get knowledgeable before you jump off the cliff. (But know that you can crawl back up the cliff in your rover...

Old 10-05-2008, 10:19 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the advice!! Yea, i think i should learn how to work on it if i do. I had no idea though that they require premium!!!! thats very shocking

Old 10-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: cman656

Thanks for the advice!! Yea, i think i should learn how to work on it if i do. I had no idea though that they require premium!!!! thats very shocking
Not really shocking. With the low prices of used Rovers it easily offsets the higher cost of gas. Although you might need to spend some money on maintenance it does not compare to the high prices of hybrids (even used ones). I would buy a nice used Disco and fix it up. Then go off road it and enjoy being outside. There is not much fun in driving around town trying to get better gas mileage.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-05-2008, 10:50 PM
8th Gear

I'm not good at working on cars myself and I have done a bunch of stuff on my rover. They are simple machines that require attention. You will become a rover expert when you get one. These forums are a great place to start. Use the search function on this, discoweb (when the server is back up) muddy oval, etc.

Learn what you can. Check everything is working on the potential buy (sunroofs, any dashlights, transfer case shifter, look under the hood and crawl under the truck. Feel the drivelines for play, look for seeping oil or coolant on the engine. Good tires (a decent set will cost $1000).

If you have any questions get a second opinion before you buy.

rcshauger@yahoo.com

Old 10-05-2008, 11:17 PM
7th Gear

ok i'll search these forums some more and learn more about the discovery. i just found one in my area that i like, so i'll go look at it tomorrow. thanks for the help!

Old 10-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Rock Crawling

I am a firm believer in buying a car that does something well and has a personality. I like my Disco because it is amazing off road and gives me the opportunity to work on it. It is reliable, but does require some active maintenance to keep it running well. Not a gas-and-go kind of car. Owning a Land Rover is an awesome experience, and hopefully a good one too.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say with the budget of a 16 year old, you should get a DI. Cheaper parts. Go figure out how much you can spend, subtract 1,500 to 2,000 dollars, then buy a truck with the rest. The 1,500 to 2,000 you just subtracted will be spent on things like a new radiator, new differentials, axle hub seals, timing cover seals, etc. It'll run strong after that.

Also, forget about SE, HSE, SE7... get the base model. It'll have plenty of comfort, plenty of goodies and it'll save you thousands. Plus, the back seat is the same size on all models. Hmmmm, maybe you should get a van.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

It really all depends on what you're looking to do with your car. I was in a similar position to you when I first started driving. I'm 19 now and it's my 2 year anniversary with my 96 Disco SE7 next week. It was my first car, and I really didn't know much about anything mechanical when I first got it, but luckily for me I found this forum and a friend of mine that is a pretty good mechanic. Trust me, you will know a lot about mechanics if you drive one of these long enough.

Anyway, these cars are hit or miss with most people. You hate 'em or you love 'em. If you do get one you will have pretty much the slowest car at school with the worst fuel economy. BUT, you will also have the most capable off road truck, as well as something that is actually really comfortable to drive or ride in. If you get an SE7 you'll have 7 legal seats in there. My friends love driving around in my truck, and I love taking everyone off roading. My jeep buddies are constantly surprised at what my truck can handle.
Name:  08-31-200826JPG.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  74.8 KB
See that jeep behind me there? He got stuck and he's on 33" tires with huge lift. I'm completely stock.

But anyway, go test drive one, see if you like it. I bet you will.

Quick Reply: Considering a Discovery