Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Considering a Discovery

How long did it take to get the mud out of the passenger front seat?

;D

Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol there's still a little bit there. My girlfriend was NOT happy about that one.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Mudding

HEHE.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:05 PM
7th Gear

thanks guys!! thats really great advice! thats an awesome picture too!! i'm really motivated to go buy a discovery now. I found one in my area that in my price range. it's a 2000 Disco series II. I'll put the link to the website on here. If ya'll wouldt mind lookin at it and givin some feedback it's be appreciated.

http://www.rlbautogroup.com/showroom...-Series-II-AWD

Old 10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Mudding

That's a beaut., but remember, the true cost of that vehicle could easily be 8,900$ after you are forced to put 2k worth of work into it.

Get the carfax. If it's ever been leased, BE VERY WARY. The lease owners probably didn't take care of it.

Be sure to look at the service records. If there are no service records, run away. You'll be able to find one that has them. If it does, check to see if the following items have been done:

• New, grease-able Driveshaft (If not it will cost you $350 or $700 at dealer. If you don't do it it could cost you 7,000$)
• Headgaskets. Most have problems, the service records said mine had been done already. (MAJOR BUCKS)
• Valve Cover gaskets. Not all go bad, but if they've already been done, it's a plus.
• Radiator leaks. You have to remove the plastic sheilds to inspect. ($150 for a used, $350 new, 2 hours labor)
• Timing cover ($500?)

Those are my items from personal experience.

You probably don't know enough to catch all this stuff. I sure didn't. You can take it to a LR dealer or shop and they'll run an inspection for you and tell you exactly what it needs. That would be the single smartest thing you could possibly do.

When you drive it, listen for a HIGH pitched wine coming from the rear or the front, especially noticeable around 70mph. These are the diffs (carrier barrings I believe) wearing out. Look for leak stains on the axles near the hubs (axle seals worn out $600), on the diffs, on the transfer case.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling

I would offer $6000.00 for it. If you don't know already the cost of ownership is not the up front price but everything else you have to do once you buy it. I think it is better to buy a Rover (or any vehicle) like this one and fix it up the way you want it to be. If you plan to off road with it there are a few mods needed to make it very good in the dirt. Stock they are impressive.

Before you do any modifications remember to get all the maintenance done. Change all the fluids, new front drive shaft, possibly brakes, and new tires (245/75r16 is a great size for street and off road).

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling

I also recommend buying a Scangauge II.

http://www.scangauge.com/

I use it to keep an eye on my coolant temperature and fuel consumption. Works on any OBDII car and is a great way to avoid overheating (#1 engine killer). My Disco runs around 190-205 Fahrenheit.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just looking at those few pictures it looks to be in good shape, but there's really no way to tell just from that if it's going to be a good buy. I would go drive it, look all around the car and make sure that everything is in good shape. If the issues rrhyne mentioned are taken care of, I think $6900 would be fair. Always keep in mind that it's possible you'll find an even better buy some where else so keep your eyes peeled. But that one did look pretty promising. Good luck

Old 10-07-2008, 06:13 PM
7th Gear

thanks guys, thats all great advice!! i had a few questions though. What are the head gaskets? What are the valve cover gaskets? What are the differentials? oh and how deep in water could i go if i just left it stock? and if i didnt want to be driving the slowest car in school, what improvements could i make to the engine? and if i bought that Disco do you think i should put a rook rack on it?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tQ2Tp3u_f8This is my '97 100% stock.
The head gaskets are the gaskets that go between the cylinder heads and the engine block.
The valve cover gaskets are the gaskets that do between the valve covers and the cylinder heads.
As long as you drive a Disco you WILL have the slowest car at school, no matter what you do.
The differentials are the big round looking things on the front and rear axles. They house the gears that make the truck move.
The engine turns the transmission turns the transfer case turns the driveshafts turns the axles turns the wheels.
A roof rack will reduce your MPG by about 2.

Quick Reply: Considering a Discovery