Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Considering a Discovery

Just to add to Spike's comment, the differentials really allow your left and right wheels to spin at different speeds. They're there because if you go around a corner without them (or with them locked) you're causing a massive amount of mechanical build up. Not good when it releases. There's also a lockable differential between both axles that allows front and rear to spin at different speeds.

And I definitely approve of a roof rack.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 PM
7th Gear

how would the differentials become locked?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Winching

By putting in Lockers... []

Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Winching

ORIGINAL: hazletbassist89

It really all depends on what you're looking to do with your car. I was in a similar position to you when I first started driving. I'm 19 now and it's my 2 year anniversary with my 96 Disco SE7 next week. It was my first car, and I really didn't know much about anything mechanical when I first got it, but luckily for me I found this forum and a friend of mine that is a pretty good mechanic. Trust me, you will know a lot about mechanics if you drive one of these long enough.

Anyway, these cars are hit or miss with most people. You hate 'em or you love 'em. If you do get one you will have pretty much the slowest car at school with the worst fuel economy. BUT, you will also have the most capable off road truck, as well as something that is actually really comfortable to drive or ride in. If you get an SE7 you'll have 7 legal seats in there. My friends love driving around in my truck, and I love taking everyone off roading. My jeep buddies are constantly surprised at what my truck can handle.

See that jeep behind me there? He got stuck and he's on 33" tires with huge lift. I'm completely stock.

But anyway, go test drive one, see if you like it. I bet you will.

Did that jeep REALLY get stuck in That Exact same mud hole? Did you make it through?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Just FYI, the car that you found at RLB. They do not negoiate on price and be sure to look over the car very well. They do a great job of covering up leaks, etc. . . They also spray the underbody with black paint, hides rust, etc. . . Most are local TX cars, bought from dealers. They are very easy to deal with and purchase from. Just double check everything.I take it you are local to the Fort Worth area,when youfind a car take it to Cowtown Rovers on Vickeryand have Sam take a look. he generally does not charge for this. He is very knowledgable on Land Rovers and reasonable pricesfor service.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: cman656

how would the differentials become locked?
By adding lockers when you lock them you are locking both wheels on that axle together so that both wheels have equal amounts of power and both wheels will spin no matter what.
When they are locked it will make it hard to turn, but lockers are locked and unlocked by you from inside the truck.
I think that we are putting thr cart in front of the horse though. First you need to get the truck and get it running good and then learn how to off road before you mod your truck.
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...cker/index.htm

Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Jupiter Rover

ORIGINAL: hazletbassist89

It really all depends on what you're looking to do with your car. I was in a similar position to you when I first started driving. I'm 19 now and it's my 2 year anniversary with my 96 Disco SE7 next week. It was my first car, and I really didn't know much about anything mechanical when I first got it, but luckily for me I found this forum and a friend of mine that is a pretty good mechanic. Trust me, you will know a lot about mechanics if you drive one of these long enough.

Anyway, these cars are hit or miss with most people. You hate 'em or you love 'em. If you do get one you will have pretty much the slowest car at school with the worst fuel economy. BUT, you will also have the most capable off road truck, as well as something that is actually really comfortable to drive or ride in. If you get an SE7 you'll have 7 legal seats in there. My friends love driving around in my truck, and I love taking everyone off roading. My jeep buddies are constantly surprised at what my truck can handle.

See that jeep behind me there? He got stuck and he's on 33" tires with huge lift. I'm completely stock.

But anyway, go test drive one, see if you like it. I bet you will.

Did that jeep REALLY get stuck in That Exact same mud hole? Did you make it through?
I think I lucked out because he did get stuck there, and when we were on our way out of there later that day I got stuck going the other way.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Go off road first and then buy the mods you need, not the ones you want. This way you avoid getting a two ton bumper with a 12,000,000 lb winch that you will never use.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With your limited knowledge of mechanics, you should definitely take it by a LR independent mechanic or dealer for a pre buy inspection. It's could save you thousands of dollars.

The knowledge of mechanics will come when you find a vehicle you love and want to care for.

Good luck.

when you find a car take it to Cowtown Rovers on Vickery and have Sam take a look. he generally does not charge for this. He is very knowledgable on Land Rovers and reasonable prices for service.
There you go. Best advice you've gotten so far.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im on my first rover (2000 disco II) and all i can say is maintain maintain MAINTAIN! im paying the price right now for letting maintence slide (new head gasket - expensive! especially when you consider that ive had the new radiator hoses riding around in the back for a month now...) however, you will get to be a pretty good shad tree mechanic and have the coolest truck around. i am constantly the guy who has 4 or 5 adults riding around in my truck and they ALL want to take a turn off roading it. all my jeep/jacked-up-f250-friends are constantly amazed at what the "ugly little stock brit truck" can do in stock form.
dont forget to include the cost of a good set of tools and a tool bag in the cost of the vehicle. a tow strap, and a large igloo 5 day cooler. the tools are to maintain your rover, the tow strap is to un-stick jeeps, and the cooler is to keep the beer, uh, soda cold for the after-jeep-pull-out-end-of-trail-party.

good luck and you will LOVE your rover.
pilsner
2000 disco II w/ 135k and counting
ft lewis WA

and i dont take offense to the 'ugly' comment cause they only make it while im dragging their lifted rigs out of whatever stuck them. hehe

Quick Reply: Considering a Discovery