Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Discovery purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:12 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Discovery purchase.

Why are used discoveries so cheap?
Are there things that consitantly go wrong with them?
Any advice would be great.
ANy years better than others?

Thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Considering Discovery purchase.

They are so cheap because of the price of gas, and they REQUIRE premium gas.
DI's are less problematic and easier to fix than DII's.
1994-1999.5=DI
1999.5-2004=DII
Stay away from 2003's, end of story on that one.
DII's have probelems with head gaskets, the front driveshaft, the ABS, Hill Decent control and traction control as well as the air ride suspension.
DI's have problems with the ABS (easy fix), the sun roofs not working and the cruise control, also a easy fix.
Do a search on this forum for the "3 amigos" and "front driveshaft" as well as "looking to buy".

Old 10-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Mudding

I've had one of each. D1 definitely easier to work on...but D2 nicer ride (except when driveshaft explodes, which is scary). I liked the turning radius on the d1...

Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't speak on behalf of the DI, but my DII seems to be one of the simplest vehicles to work on that I have ever owned. If you go with either, my suggestion would be VALIDATION of SERVICE! If properly cared for and accurate records can be provided these trucks are a joy to own. Good luck!

Regards,

Nick

Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 PM
6th Gear

The turning radius on the D2 '99.5 is lousy alright, but I can't compare as I haven't driven Later models.
I think another reason the Discos depreciate so dramatically is buyer fear of the unknown....ie: what will it cost to maintain and cost of parts etc! Without a bit of mechanical knowhow and/or a trustworthy local Landy goto guy...you have good reason to steer clear!

I also find using medium grade fuel @ 89 octane works fine for me and saves the additional cost of Premium. I sometimes use an octane boost supplement in a full tank, but not always.

Muckster

Old 10-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Discovery's don't hold their price period. Poor reliability history is what is killing them. There's other vehicles that cost a lot in gas and must be fuelled with super. Porsche Cayenne, lexus Lx470, toyota Land Cruiser, even the H2 hold their value way better than Land Rovers.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: muckster

The turning radius on the D2 '99.5 is lousy alright, but I can't compare as I haven't driven Later models.
I think another reason the Discos depreciate so dramatically is buyer fear of the unknown....ie: what will it cost to maintain and cost of parts etc! Without a bit of mechanical knowhow and/or a trustworthy local Landy goto guy...you have good reason to steer clear!

I also find using medium grade fuel @ 89 octane works fine for me and saves the additional cost of Premium. I sometimes use an octane boost supplement in a full tank, but not always.

Muckster

You can change / improve the turning circle of a D2 to be the same as a D1 if its running on 16" wheels by changing the lock stops. Land rover in their wisdom fitted most with bigger lock stops designed for 18" rims even if the vehicle was fitted with 16" from new.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm my DII seems to have a pretty good turning radius for a SUV of it's size..it's on 16's, not sure if the stops have been adjusted..I'll have to check that..thanks for the tip urban.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: muckster

Well using the standard $.10 spread which is common pratice by gas stations...you are saving $2 buy using mid-grade instead of premium on 20 gal of gas.
The 10 cent spread gos like this
87-$3.00
89-$3.10
93-$3.20
How much does that bottle of octane booster cost you? $4? And it only raises your octane by less than one point. So you are paying $66 for a tank of mid-grade when you buy 20 gals and use the octane boost. ($3.10 per gal of mid grade)
Premium would have cost you $64.
LR says use premium for a reason, you can do whatever you want, but they require so it is in your best interest to use it.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Spike, you say avoid the 03's ... is that because of the engine TSB? I am out of the VIN# range for that, butwhat else am I facing?? :-)

Quick Reply: Considering Discovery purchase.