Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering Discovery purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 04:03 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering Discovery purchase

I am considering purchasing a 2003-2004 Discovery Series II or the HSE. I will primarily use the vehicle for commuting 10 miles via city streets. I will rarely be using it for highway cruising. I am not concerened with the feul mileage unless it is unbelieveably poor. (10 miles per gallon or so is expected) I live in Texas so ac must work properly. I have read someoverhating posts and they concen me when its already 100+ degrees outside.However, I am uncertain as to how typical the overheating issue is. I will also occasionally be using this vehicle as a tow vehilcle for a 6500 lb boat. I will not typically be towing long distances but an occasional 2-3 hour haul a couple of times a year is not out of the question. Mostly I will be towing 25 miles or so but I need some boat ramp muscle if you know what I mean.

After viewing a local car lot that specializes in Land Rovers I came away with the thought that on some of the vehicles the fit and finish are impecable and on others I would classify it as suspect. I realize it al depends on how the vehicle was treated but I saw some things like bubbling paint in spots on the passenger door (around the mirror) that looked as if it wasa factory flaw; in other words; it didn't appear to have after market paint or anything. I wil take it camping occasionally and I'll strap a canoe to the roof. Iwill rarely have it off road. I willuse it to frequently carry my black labrador around with me.

Can anyone shed any light onto their experience with the Discover Series II or the HSE? I'm looking for something that has 30,000 - 40,000 miles on it or so.
Thanks
Sean

Old 06-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: considering Discovery purchase

I've had relatively good service out of my 03 with minimal problems. I had to fix a few things when I first bought it with 68,000 miles on it, but since then at 87,000 miles the only things I've had to fix were an O2 sensor (not expensive) and an ignition switch (expensive). I'm happy with that. That's fewer problems per mile than the Lincoln and Jeep I previously owned. On the other hand, parts are a lot more expensive but look at the vehicle. Just look at what it is. Just expect the extra cost of (some) repairs and consider it part of the price of admission to owning a magnificent machine like a Land Rover. I think it's worth it - Some may not.

My gas mileage is 19 on the highway. I haven't calculated city or average and don't plan to.

I don't have any problem with overheating, but then I live in North Carolina and I've visited Texas before in the summer.I experienced awhole new meaning of "hot" on that trip, so I wouldn't know what to say about that.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: considering Discovery purchase

Hey Hiljak,
There are several posts re: the decision to purcahse or not to purchase, check around the forum and see hwat you think, I've chimed in on several. I'm recent convert, 2 months ago I sold my 99 Cherokee and stepped into an '03 Disco II SE7 and I love it!!! You sound like you have the right outlook on fuel so that shouldn't be a problem. One thing I would check on if I were you, is your Lab. I have a 90lb German Shephard who looks tiny in the back of the Disco, the only problem is he loves to put his out the window, in the Disco - not an option for him. This is due to the window clearance in the back and the way the back seats fold forward take a look and see if your pup will still enjoy his ride in the truck.
Otherwise, these vehicles can be finicky, but form my understand, do your homework upfront, find a good one (they're VERY individual, sounds like you're already noticing that), and stay ahead of problems (i.e. keep up on period maintenance and fix minor issues as they occur) and you will love this vehicle. As far as towing, I have no idea! If you're looking for locking diffs go with the '04, '03 does have 'em but mine i snever going to see any SERIOUS trail work so it's good for me!
Good Luck.