Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Land Rover Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 04:36 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a Land Rover Discovery II

I'm sure this is a pointless thread, but I'm going to post it anyway. I currently drive a '97 Ford Expedition 4x2 and want to get into something else. I've been considering a YJ or TJ Wrangler, or possibly a XJ Cherokee, but then I came across the Land Rover and was intrigued.

The truck would not be a daily driver. My wife and I commute in a little 4-banger daily, and drop/kick up our son at school. Occasionally we'll take separate cars into work (~40 RT). I sometimes work weekends and travel over a major metropolitan area, which requires me to haul some gear in the back that doesn't fit in the 4-banger very well, so I need something that has a good cargo area.

The purchase prices seem to be relatively low on the Discovery's, but they seem to be high maintenance vehicles, which I'm sure brings up the cost of ownership significantly over time. I've never owned a 4x4 vehicle, and don't know anything about off roading, but would really like getting into it. I can see our family taking several trips in one of these (camping, kayaking, biking, etc.).

If I get a "new to me" vehicle, it will probably be one I will keep for a long time (10+ years), and I feel like the Land Rover could be that vehicle, but the general upkeep has me a little worried. I'm no mechanic, but I feel like I can handle some of the troublesome repairs I've read about (head gasket, front drive shaft) myself. I guess I'm looking for some advice from actual owners, and what they would recommend. Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any advice, I really appreciate it.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, if you find one and since you have never owned one before, take it to a good Rover mechanic and have them do a pre-purchase inspection so you don't buy any surprises.
Let us know how it goes and if you have any question on the price, give us some information on the truck and the asking so we can make sure you don't get stabbed.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 PM
7th Gear

Thanks, I've only been looking for the last couple days on Craigslist and an 00 caught my eye asking 4600 with 145k. Seems high to me, but haven't contacted the seller yet.

Any good Land Rover mechanics in the Houston area?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Overlanding

Not that I know a lot about land rovers but I just bought a 1999 LR2 127000 is my first one. The owner was asking 5k but after looking over and telling him problems I saw ended up paying 2k for LR.. It had most cosmetic problems but those are not major problem.
My cost in past weeks are all just normal change all fluids those are things any one can do with help off this forum. I also replaced water pump and new belt, cost about 200 $ about 4 hours time. Cost of fluids I used all synthetic so those cost about double so that was another 200$. But one thing do tend to leak fluids but not to point it leaves spot every time I park, but its a land rover and it looks nice so have to live with good and bad.
My rule looking for cars never rush always be another one... Good Luck

Old 06-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Mudding

Are you DYI mechanically inclined? If so go for it! Getting shops to do everything will get a bit expensive.
Do your home work and keep looking for a while till you find the one. I searched for about three months, I paid a bit more than I wanted to but ended up with exactly the disco I wanted.

Look for 1 or 2 previous owners and lots of service records. And just like Mike said take it to an Indy rover mechanic.

You will end up eating, sleeping and drinking land rover

Happy shopping.

And buy an ultra gauge now!

Last edited by Mojigglins; 06-06-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:29 AM
7th Gear

I've done brake jobs and suspensions in the past and installed a OEM navigation system in a non-navi car before, so I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. I've never really done any engine work other than routine maintenance and cleaning the upper intake manifold on my Expedition, but I feel pretty confident in following online guides and shop manuals.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Mudding

Truthfully, that's all this stuff is... routine maintenance, just Rover style. It will need a front drive shaft, don't be scared or surprised by dash lights related to traction control (the three amigo's), leaks (both oil and water) from places you wouldn't expect, and rattles.

Other than that, their great!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Mojigglins
Are you DYI mechanically inclined? If so go for it! Getting shops to do everything will get a bit expensive.
Do your home work and keep looking for a while till you find the one. I searched for about three months, I paid a bit more than I wanted to but ended up with exactly the disco I wanted.

Look for 1 or 2 previous owners and lots of service records. And just like Mike said take it to an Indy rover mechanic.

You will end up eating, sleeping and drinking land rover

Happy shopping.

And buy an ultra gauge now!

I agree with this. With Land Rover you would be buying into a real off road truck, there is a robust following for this vehicle and on this forum you would find all the help you would need with it. Most other "4X4" trucks you could buy are really meant to have 4 wheel drive for road use in weather but the Rover can really take you off road for that type of fun if you choose to do it.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

re: there is a robust following for this vehicle

bordering on "cult"

Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 PM
7th Gear

Ok, so I've found a 2000 with 144k on it. It's a three owner car and the guy says he has some of the service records. He doesn't know if the head gaskets have been replaced. I've called a place here in the Houston area, Land Rovers Unlimited, and they'll do a prepurchase inspection for $140. What should I expect for my $140?

Quick Reply: Considering a Land Rover Discovery II