Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a return to Landrover

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:56 PM
WBZ
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a return to Landrover

I am a new member here considering a return to Landrover. Previously had a 99 Discovery II which we traded in 2006 for a Hummer H3. Here is what I am thinking, I would like a 2003 or 2004 Discovery. I have been looking at cars.com etc and it looks like I might be able to pick one up for around $8,000. I am not looking for a museum piece but would like to find a decent looking example with around 80,000 miles, mechanical condition is important of course. There are not many available in my area of southern Indiana but when i do a 500 mile search I find several in my price range. I would almost prefer the S model but since the SE is more common that would be OK. I am not to concerned too much about fuel economy since it would probably only be driven 5,000 mile per year approx. This vehicle would be used for general driving, light towing and winter driving.

I like the look of the 2003 or 2004 and would like the newest year possible. Are these years better or worse than the older series II? Any other suggestions on what to look for when searching for one to buy. I have been searching for one that has not spent as much time in northern states due to rust isues.

Last edited by WBZ; 08-08-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Get an 04, refrain from 03..

Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And for that kind of folding money - pre-purchase inspection at your expense from Rover skilled mechanic. You'll be looking at "the tick" engine noise, potential overheating, and swap out or rebuild of front prop shaft if it is still factory original, lots of other gremlins. But you knew that from the first time.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM
WBZ
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
And for that kind of folding money - pre-purchase inspection at your expense from Rover skilled mechanic. You'll be looking at "the tick" engine noise, potential overheating, and swap out or rebuild of front prop shaft if it is still factory original, lots of other gremlins. But you knew that from the first time.
Thanks for your thoughts. Sadly I am all to aware of the shaft issue but I am not aware of the "the tick". Never had any overheating issues but maybe I was lucky.

I looked up the price of the shaft and it seems reasonable enough. How much would labor typically be to replace it?

Last edited by WBZ; 08-08-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 PM
WBZ
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Get an 04, refrain from 03..
I am leaning towards the 2004 just because it was the last year. Any particular reason it is best?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WBZ
I am leaning towards the 2004 just because it was the last year. Any particular reason it is best?
04 has the center differential lock if you care to have it. It is practically the same truck as the 2003 otherwise, except for the roof rails. The badging is also 3 dimensional as opposed to the SE decals present in earlier models.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 PM
WBZ
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
04 has the center differential lock if you care to have it. It is practically the same truck as the 2003 otherwise, except for the roof rails. The badging is also 3 dimensional as opposed to the SE decals present in earlier models.
OK thanks

Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus some 03s have bad oil pumps because the holes on the front cover are slightly off causing the oil pump to explode.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steer away from 2003's. $8k sounds pretty high! I'd nab a 1998-99 with cdl and you be set for a full rebuild, and lots of mods for well under that range.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
Plus some 03s have bad oil pumps because the holes on the front cover are slightly off causing the oil pump to explode.
one again it all depends on what you want to do with it. If it's only going to be used on the road then get an 03' save your money. Dont let the flat earth people scare you off with bad oil pumps. yes a certain number did have oil pump issues but they were all recalled, do you think that they would still be running if they had this problem after nearly 10 years...... You know about the engine ticks which can be oill pump or it can be slipped liners or a flex plate, the 04's also have these issues as well which is why you get it inspected.
If you need a CDL then you will be looking at an 04. I have a 03 which i tow with and love it, yes its in the "death range of bad vin" but its still going and mine does tick with a slipped linner. When i tow then the tick goes away.
My 2c. Picked my mint 03 up from a road side delaer last year ro $5k best deal I have ever had

Quick Reply: Considering a return to Landrover