Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating a 2000 disco

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating a 2000 disco

Foreword: i understand it is very difficult to make speculations and opinions for a car youve never seen but please chime in with anything as i am new to disco's and almost any insight is better than what i currently possess.

Hey there guys, I have a quick question for all the rover experts here. I'm contemplating buying a 2000 disco. Everything looks to be in good order with it and it only has 89k miles. It looks like the heads are new and the valve cover gaskets are pliable and seem to be new as well. There is a slight ticking sound from somewhere in the engine bay, and what I've come to learn is called the three amigos, on the dash. Other than that it seems in good running order. My long winded and very newb question is basically for 5500 does this seem like a decent buy? And more importantly is there anything else in particular I should look for that might be wrong with it? Thank you all for your time.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Mudding

I don't know where you are but that seems like a little more than I'd want to be into a disco for.. 4k would be my top.. you'll have to sink money into it no matter what.. what is your budget? some people don't mind over paying a bit to have exactly what you want.. I respect that. if it is what you want and you can afford it than go ahead.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the input, im in socal and my budget is/was about 4k (of course with a seperate fund for the inevitable repairs). Ive looking for a month or so and all of the discos ive seen have pretty severe issues (im not looking for anything perfect but these all needed id say at least 2k-3k right off the bat). am i way off the mark and just finding all the bad examples? Or is this fairly usual?

Old 10-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The ticking may be a bigger issue than you want to take on.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm sure in SoCal the prices are a bit higher by nature, but as just a point of reference I just paid $4500 for a 2001 a few weeks ago now. It had just had the gaskets done and got them to put in a new headliner as well.

Appearance-wise it is in wonderful condition on the outside, although the flares need some attention. Interior is in great shape with the exception of some wear on the drivers seat but I'm looking into a salvage yard for a replacement.

I've had to do the usual things with heat management (flush dex, Peak coolant, 180 stat, Ultra Gauge). Also, the electric fan was seized so I replaced that. Next I need to get the front driveshaft replaced.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with our purchase even with these inevitable things that the Discos need done. Hopefully by doing some of this upfront it will help with the life of the vehicle.

Just my experience, for whatever its worth.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Overlanding

Savanah buzz - i know it could be a multitude of things but what are some of the possibilities (or at least the ones that make you mention it might be a large issue)

Shltn - that sounds like an awesome find, congrats! It is helpful knowing that a good model can be had for those prices.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm think $3000 tops for a really nice one. Maybe up to $4500 or $5000 for a 2004, because of the locker and fancier looking front end.

I sold a nice 1999 with 100k miles and brand new tires for $2900.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Hapakid88
My long winded and very newb question is basically for 5500 does this seem like a decent buy?
I just bought a 01 w/112k for 3k in great shape except for the transfer case seal. HG done, frame treated, front drive shaft replaced with serviceable type etc.
Is the seller claiming it is in decent shape? Have it checked out professionally and save yourself from learning the hard way that even beauty queens can be a basket case.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jafir
I'm think $3000 tops for a really nice one. Maybe up to $4500 or $5000 for a 2004, because of the locker and fancier looking front end.
Where is the best place to keep an "eye out" for deals like that? I'd probably pick up an '04 in addition to the '01 for that price range. Actually my '01 is my boy's and after only having it a short time I'm bitten with the LR bug. Seriously considering getting an '04 Disco for me. Or possibly a Range Rover as I've always loved those but there doesn't seem to be stuff out there in the price ranges mentioned in various threads on here.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Overlanding

Thanks again for the input guys i really do appreciate it. I have another question for everyone actually. There is a 2001 im looking at, low miles, fantastic shape, but a salvage title. Up til now ive avoided salvage titles like the plague. Obviously without knowing the exact details its hard to speculate but im wondering if anyone has had any good experience with a well repaired salvage or whether its worth me even looking. It was claimed as salvaged because of an accident. Thanks again guys

Quick Reply: Contemplating a 2000 disco