Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant

I have a 2000 Discovery. After I brought it in for some maintenance at an independent Land Rover shop, I noticed that they changed the coolant from the orange (Dex-Cool) which the vehicle had since it was brand new to the green one. They said that the Dex-Cool is not really good for the system and that the orange stuff will be replaced by the green stuff especially on the new models. Is this true?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

depends on the shop. Dexcool is great unless you spring a leak. Then is becomes really corrosive and make the little leak worse fast. As long as they got all of it out when they switched over, or used the all makes all models green stuff, you should be fine. Just keep in mind that it will not last as long and you will have to change it more frequently.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool! Thanks for the info!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I used to sell coolant, had to take a class on coolant to become informed on the pros and cons of each kind.
DexCool is corrosive IF it is not properly maintained. BUT it is environmentally friendly.
So if you have DexCool in your cooling system and get in a accident and it all goes onto the ground it wont kill fish, frogs, etc. but it will eat your headgaskets and any other gasket that is immersed in coolant.
It is NOT a long life put it in and forget it coolant, it MUST be PH balance tested once a year no matter the miles.
If the PH is off...leak.
Just like a pool, to much chlorine and your eyes burn, to little and you get algae.

DexCool is NOT compatible with other coolants, so if you have it in your system and "top off" with standard green coolant it will turn to a Jello like substance and clog your cooling system.
If you flush the system and then switch to some other coolant you will be fine.
You MUST use a aluminum safe coolant since your entire cooling system is aluminum.

No matter the coolant that you use change it often, I recommend every two years no matter the miles.

Personally I use Peak Global Lifetime in the premixed 50/50.