Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant boil and leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot guys. Being towed as we speak to the same shop that replaced the head gaskets. Only kicker... Warranty is 12k miles or 12 mo. Invoice date is 9/29/11. Fml. The guy said we'll see what we can do if it is in fact the head gasket. I figured getting it there is the best bet before I mess up something else. Gotta figure out where the problem is either way and go from there.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzy3313
Thanks a lot guys. Being towed as we speak to the same shop that replaced the head gaskets. Only kicker... Warranty is 12k miles or 12 mo. Invoice date is 9/29/11. Fml. The guy said we'll see what we can do if it is in fact the head gasket. I figured getting it there is the best bet before I mess up something else. Gotta figure out where the problem is either way and go from there.
Good call. I'd lean on them hard to support you as best they can, even if the warranty was technically expired. You might get some relief by offering to pay for parts and maybe a little shop time. A head gasket job should last more than 12 months if done right. Unless something else completely screwed the system up, it should mostly be on them.

Keep us updated on what they tell you and check with the board before you authorize work. Some people on here have a highly developed bull**** detector.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Overlanding

Haha sounds good. Thanks a bunch everyone. This board really is unlike any other!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi,
Well, headgaskets replaced 2K ago.
Should not be headgaskets.
If they did it right.

If you overheated it - during the course of the year - then maybe headgaskets again.

Or, you may have a coolant leak and it got low on coolant.

You can just put in Green coolant if it has that in it already.

Hopefully your insurance will honor it.

Well, you drove less than 2k miles in a year.
A rover driven this small amount should last for a very long time.

Your coolant bottle may have sprung a leak in the seams.
Hopefully this is all it is.

You will know soon enough.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Overlanding

So the guy said he refilled it with coolant, checked the truck up and down, double checked the head gaskets, and drove it pretty hard on the freeway for like 30 miles and around town in stop and go. No problems. Temps normal. I went and got it last night drive it home. No issues... Wait and see I guess...

Old 10-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Temps normal is a broad term. The gauge will show 50% normally over a wide range. You might consider attaching a scanner or Ultra Gauge to see what is really going on.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant boil and leak-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg  
Old 11-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you might be alright Ozzy. However keep a watchful eye on the temp gauge. You do not know how many stories I have read on here(and experienced myself) where the shop says it checks out fine then you pull away and it starts to overheat again. When you get home, I would take the time to search the forum to find the procedure to bleed the air out of the cooling system to be absolutely sure. Only do it when the engine is completely cold. I would post it myself but I got to run. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could have been a bad coolant reservoir cap. If the spring wears out, the cap won't pressurize properly and your coolant boils. I had the same problem on my Disco 1.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

That's a good point, cheap to try, and if that is not it, you have a spare cap for emergencies. They used to have radiator cap testers at some shops, don't see those as often anymore. If you cut a piece of paper towel and fasten around neck of the jug, and another piece zip-tied on the end of the coolant drip hose, you could see if you were getting some wetness from a bad cap.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Overlanding

Is there a recommended cap? I'm looking at about $40 right? I was wondering if there is any way to tell that I have a bad cap other than buying one and trying it, but Savannah answered my question I think. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Coolant boil and leak