Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Change

How many people here have actually flushed their own coolant? I want to do mine before winter rolls around, and I am just curious as to what tools I will need, and any tips you might have from doing it yourself. I have the RAVE manual, but any advice would be great, thanks.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You really can't do a complete flush on a D2, so do it your self. If you want some specific direction get back to us after you buy 2 gallons of 50/50 Dexcool.
You will only need a screw driver a pliers.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my '03 two days ago and it was really easy. The rave cd doesn't show you that there is a little black plug on the bottom of the radiator, but you will want to open this so that everything drains out of the bottom. Also start by turning your wheels all the way to the right. there you will find 3 phillips bolts that will take a piece of plastic that will allow you to do everything from there. And take the T-stat out and check it or just replace. How many miles do you have?

All you really need is a pair of pliers for the hose clamps and one of those head mounted flash lights. You can ping me your cell if you want (while you are looking at the truck) and i can explain exactly what I did.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Three Wheeling

Easy to do, not sure what year you have. If DII, just remove the hoses from the plastic thermostat housing and dump the coolant. Refill with coolant, make sure you get the air out of the system, open the bleed valve either on the top hose or on top of the radiator if DI. Turn your heat on high, so you can make sure it is functioning. If air is in the system, you will hear a sloshing noise in the passenger side compartment or you will not have heat. Only tools you need should is a screwdriver, pliers and new clamps. Check all your hoses for wear and you might as well replace the thermostat while you have it out.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Mudding

Sorry guys, I have a 2000 DII, with 80,000 miles.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm

Just drain it, refill with water, turn the heater on and idle for 15 min, cool for 15, drain, refill with water, repeat until only clean water comes out.
Then refill with a 50/50 mix of ALUMINUM SAFE coolant and distilled water.
ANY aluminum safe coolant will do.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Mudding

Can I just use water from the hose? I mean when I am "flushing"? Then I have some Peak 50/50 Long Life coolant/antifreeze, will this be ok? It says on the back that it is good until -34F, I mean occasionally last winter we saw -40F, is this going to be ok? Thanks

Old 09-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes when flushing you can use the garden hose.
And yes, that Peak Longlife 50/50 will be fine, thats what I use.
As for the temp, yes, you will be fine, just make sure that if it ever gets that cold (-40) let the truck warm up for 15 min or so before you drive it.
The worst that will happen is the coolant will turn into slush, like a slushy from Dairy Queen, once the engine runs at idle for a short while it will turn back into liquid.
If you know it will get that cold that night then right before you go to bed start the truck and let it idle for 20 min, then turn it off and stick a piece of cardboard infront of the radiator to help hold in the heat.
Then after you start it the next day remove the cardboard and come back inside the house.
And if the truck is parked inside a garage, dont worry about it, your garage wont get that cold as long as it is closed.
If you read the owners manual it covers this (extreme cold temps) in the owners manual.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Three Wheeling

there is a block drain plug which is easily accesible on the drivers side. (actuall there are two, but could only find this one)

hint, remove the right front wheel for easy access. look between the frame and the wheel well. you will see a plug on the lower part of the engine. This gets creative now, the back end of a 3/8 drive extention (wobble type to work at an angle) fits right over it.

use two to three long extentions together after that and on the ratchet side i used a 7/16 socket that fit just right on the ratchet.

I pulled the plug so easily from there i smiled. and what do you know i had no trouble draining the block.

Flushing was easy from there, as i put the hose in the upper inlet on the engine and flushed away.

I also flushed from the plastic coolant tank which also drained from the the open plug.

flushed and drained the radiator separatly.

worked like a charm, and used 50/50 premix as i couldnt find any distilled water in town. all set for winter.

I hope this help someone.

J

Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

when you are getting the air out of the system, detach the overflow tank and hold it above the radiator, it make a huge difference in getting the air out of the system. Phil