Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant drips out of catch tank overflow

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 08:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I am going to test this theory as well. Just bought this d2 about a month ago so I'm still learning the quirks. Paranoid of overheating, I check the coolant level after every 2nd or 3rd drive, no matter how far. It gets to about an inch and a half to two inches below the cold fill line and then seems to plateau. I run a pretty constant 194-199° (on ultraguage) in normal conditions. I have an inline 180° mod waiting for me to install but I want to get a good baseline to compare it to. Taking it off road tomorrow to what is supposed to be an easy trail, but it's mostly uphill and a good elevation gain. Looking forward to the results!!!!

Old 03-02-2020, 11:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougn
Hopefully to close out this thread....I replaced the new cap with another new cap (different brand not that it should matter) and no drips. i have driven about 75 miles, 50 at freeway speed. so the sequence of events is kinda funny

a leak appears under my car, i assume it's the water pump so i order a new one, didn't install it
it turns out to be leaking from the manifold bung where the throttle body gets it water so i fix that with a hose clamp
then i find (just looking around) the old cap is buggered with a broken o-ring groove to i order a new one (cheap off amazon)
works fine for a week then starts dripping out the overflow
order another cap and it appears to be fixed
of course there's an update:

coolant started leaking again, this time from the water pump which was my original assumption so i installed the new pump and it's been dry for a while. i think it's solved. i dont think the head gasket is leaking. on another note, the truck has never overheated.....ever. 136k miles. i want to get to 200