Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant flush questions and engine underside cover questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant flush questions and engine underside cover questions

I did the coolant flush today and changed out the tstat. Took me a lot longer than it should have. I had a hell of a time getting all the hose fittings loose and then back on.

What tool do you guys use to compress the little rings that hold the hoses on?

I wanted to remove the drain plugs from the block and get a complete drain, but could not locate them. What is the easiest was to remove that sheild from underside, that covers the engine bay? I think I need to remove that to get to the drainplugs, am I correct? I can not see a way to slide it out.If I disconnect the steering stabilizer shock, will it slide out forward pretty easy or do I need to disconnect anything else?

I had a real hard time getting the bottom radiator hose off. I ended up removing both platic trim parts that cover the fan area and it was a lot easier. Do you normally remove these, or do I just have way to large hands? The RAVE CD did not call for removing them, but after 15 minutes of messing with the lower hose, I just got pissed and did it.

With that lower shield covering the engine, I could not direct the water flow and I think I got more on the driveway than in the bucket.

I can usually follow directions pretty well and have done a lot of my own work on my various vehicles. I do all the service and maintenance on the H1 myself, but this Disco is giving me grief every time I try and do a maintenance issue.

So, questions are:

1. How do you remove the shield under the engine?
2. Do you need to remove it to see the drain plugs?
3. Do you remove the trim around the fan for more room to work?
4. Does thecoolant go where you want it to with the shield removed.

Thanks all.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Coolant flush questions and engine underside cover questions

I did mine without removng the drain plugs.. if youwant to make sure you flush well, just do it a couple of times without undoing the drain plugs.... They were going to be a real PITA to get to so I opted not to mess with them.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Mudding

Another question, do you use a garden hose and one of those flush kitsto flush out the system? I can not use them, as my water is REALLY bad here.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Winching

Some people do....

I on the other hand go to WalMart and buy about 4 Gallons of Distilled Water at 69 cents a gallon and make an afternoon of it

You should replace those clamps with good screw type clamps

Old 01-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Mudding

I thought about replacing the clamps. I have a good assortment of very high quality screw type hose clamps, but was not sure if it was a good idea. Have a bunch of people here done it? Sure would be a LOT easier to work with.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Winching

Im not 100% on the clamps you are talking about..
If you are talking about the kind that only use a spring type action to clamp then yes
definatley replace them with screw type clamps..

on my Series I Discovery I have all screw type clamps in my radiator hoses

Old 01-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

To compress those factiry clamps I use a pair of channel locks.
I always replace factory clamps with the worm style, much easier to work with.
I do not use those flush kits, do like Pancho said, drain the system by removing the lower radiator hose, fill with distilled water, start it and let it run for 20 min, coll, drain, refill with your favorite colant.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Mudding

So, no one actual pulls the drain plugs on the engine??? I actually put off doing my drain, flush and fill this weekend because those things looked almost impossible to get at.

Also, has anyone removed the plastic shield/cover under the engine and just tossed it?

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes people have just removed and tossed the under beely shield.
I use the screw type hose clamps.
I just use my garden hose to flush my cooling system, but I have good city water and not well water.
If you have well water then buy water from the store, drain coolant, refill with clean water, tuen on the heater and let the engine run for 30 mins, cool and drain and then refill with new coolant.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Drifting

I don't remember who recommended it, but the best trick for catching all the coolant is a kiddie wading pool. In the past, I've messed with pans, fancy absorbent, kitty litter, rags, etc. Last time, I used a plastic wading pool and caught all of it but a couple of spatters.

As several have answered, no, most people don't remove the drain plugs. If you want to, here is how:

The plugs are 3/8 square, so use a 3/8 universal joint on the end of a long extension (in reverse so that the u-joint female end goes to the plug). On the outside end (which will be the male end of extension) you can use a pair of vise grips or an 11mm socket with ratchet.

Driver's side: come in behind the front tire just above the frame and below the inner fender
Passenger side: above tire just behind shock tower- you will have to move the starter heat shield out of the way

Good luck

Quick Reply: Coolant flush questions and engine underside cover questions