Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant gushing, can't see where from exactly (pic included)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant gushing, can't see where from exactly (pic included)

Hey guys,
Was driving home from Home Depot and heard a hamster cage squeak (like a bad belt) and figured I would need to replace it. Sounded like it was coming from the power steering reservoir area, but wasn't sure. Within the next mile, I had some major turbulence, and then my truck temp went to red hot. I was home within a mile, and coolant was gushing from the area I am pointing to in my picture.

The leak seemed to be coming from the manifold outlet pipe. Without taking off the fan shroud and the alternator, I don't know if I could even see it. Now that the truck has cooled down and the coolant is all gone, I am not sure how easy it would be to spot the leak. There is coolant spray on the coolant reservoir bottle, but I am not sure if that shows a spray leak or splash from the belts getting covered in coolant and flinging it around.
Any help on first steps/best-worst case scenario would be appreciated!

Last edited by Joshman; 04-07-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get a coolant pressure tester and try to narrow down where the leak is coming from. You can get a lo more help if you can identify where the leak is coming from.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you are lucky, may just be a loose factory clamp and a screw type HD clamp may be the cure, if not it's the seal and a pretty easy repair.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:47 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

easy way is to tighten that clamp a bit.

Hard way is to remove the hose and investigate.

Will involve a coolant bleed.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks like you have the updated upper coolant hose w/ bleeder screw. Good. Try to tighten down that clamp you're pointing at.

FYI. I have that same upper radiator hose got it from AB. After about a year the hose clamps on the T-Fittting loosened and starting pissing coolant. I cut them off and replaced w/ HD clamps.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Mudding

I took off the fan shroud and poked around. I noticed, in hand turning the fan to look through its blades, that the fan was rubbing on the upper belt shroud. I tried to see how much flex was in that shroud, and it snapped off. Oops. Do you think it is important?

I took the hose off from the manifold outlet pipe, and see no cracks or anything. I started up my truck to see if I could see anything while it was running, and there was a loud ruckus. I turned it off and ran to the front to see that the fan blade was rubbing on a few spots. Turns out, it is loose at the pulley.

That explains the noise, and could have explained a hole in a hose somewhere, but I can't find a hole. Is that fanwheel connected to the block in a place that, if it were loose, could explain a loss of coolant? where in the rave manual can I find instructions on how to tighten the fanwheel pulley?

Old 04-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Mudding

since the viscous fan doesn't kick on until it is needed, could the fan have been loose this whole time and i didn't know until the coolant leak caused the truck to overheat, kicking the loose fan on? how often is that fan running?

Old 04-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No expert here:

Sounds to be a faulty Water Pump. The V-Fan is mounted to the water pump and when the fan is a little loose/shifty, it means the bearings in the water pump may have failed.

Try to wiggle the fan blades from front to back lightly and see if there is any play. If So, a new Pump may be the fix.

I'd first have it pressure tested to determine if there are any obvious signs of leaks coming from a broken gasket.

The water pump does have a weep hole that faces the passenger side of the vehicle. Coolant pressure is released from said hole when the pump fails.

Water pump is an easy and straight forward repair. I've done it twice now.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2 I would say you need a water pump.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Mudding

Getting a water pump today from Napa. Going to rent the huge wrench to remove the viscous fan. Thinking I should replace the serpentine belt while I have stuff off.
does anyone know the name of the shroud I broke off that covers the two uppermost pulleys on the driver's side? I need to see if I can pick one up while I am at Napa (or be able to look for someone who is piecing a truck out so I can ask for one from them).

Quick Reply: Coolant gushing, can't see where from exactly (pic included)