Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Coolant Leak... Update

Final diagnosis is a bad front cover gasket and I am going to replace the water pump, all belts and hoses, thermostat and oil pump, as I understand the oil pump is a fairly common issue, to be on the safe side while they are in there. I will supply most of the parts from AB and the labor will be about $750. Thanks Jawbox and others for talking me through this and I will let you know how things turn out.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Three Wheeling

let me start off by saying that this might not be your issuse but it would'nt hurt looking into it. that said...i recently had a very similar leak. i too thought it was the water pump at first glance. i refit the new pump,gasket, and hoses. filled with water, before i put the fan and all back. then i couldhear the water leaking out with more vigor than before. got under the truck and i could see where it was coming from. i couldnt see until the drops weredropping practically inmy eye, probably why i didnt see it that first time. it was leaking water where the ports on either side of the pump go thru the timing cover/front cover(was leaking on the drivers side only). replaced that gasket and no more leak. the rave manual has some good pictures of the front cover and gasket if you need a visual.

good luck with yours,keep us posted on whatit ends up being

Old 01-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Three Wheeling

haha, we must have been typing at the same time. glad you got the diagnosis.

but if you have some mechanical ability and some patience, you can do the job yourself. Its not too bad. But i did have to get a ride to work for a week straight. and took a couple of vacation days to fix it. but it didnt cost me 750...

Old 01-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kfox77,

If you don't mind me asking, what shop did you take it too? I'm in Puyallup/South Hill and have been working with a local Rover indie shop in Tacoma called "European Motors".

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Drifting

I use Wayne's in Normandy Park and have for years. They are a little expensive but do a first rate job and let me use my own parts. I have tried others for the BMW and the Saab and never had the fair dealings I have had with the guys at Wayne's. The Swedish Connection in Tacoma was just awful and the BMW dealer in Fife put me over the barrel so I just stick with what I know. They are not rover experts but the aptitude is very sound and they will not have me replacing parts for the sake of replacing them. They will also recommend doing things like the water pump and oil pump when things are torn apart rather than having me come back in for them 10K miles later to tear it all apart again. Enough of the Wayne's informercial...

Old 01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Drifting

Has anyone had top replace the front cover along with the gasket? I talked with someone who said that almost every time you replace the gasket you have to replace the housing and it just seemed silly that the metal housing would be that bad...

Old 02-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Mudding

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I suspect this is where my coolant leak is coming from. If I end up replacing the gasket, what other gaskets do i need to order? This is what I see so far from the RAVE, are there any that I'm missing?

Front Cover Gasket
Water Pump Gasket
Crankshaft Oil Seal
O ring on the oil cooler pipe

Old 02-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Drifting

That is everything I replaced and I also replaced the water pump, oil pump and timing chain while it was open. I saw no sense in placing old parts in a new system.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Rock Crawling

What is this ( RAVE ) thing can some one post a link or how one can get it!
Thanks

Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rave Manual