Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016 | 10:54 AM
|
Mudding
Default Coolant Leak?

I'm starting to get high temperatures while driving short distances, just topped up the coolant about 2 days ago but and that seemed to work for a time but now it gets hot everytime I drive. It is a slow temperature rise but pretty steady. Normal operating temps around 179-183 but have been climbing up to 210. Probably would keep rising if I lived a greater distance from work. I have a Torque OBDII reader that I'm working with, which I know is pretty much just entry level and can have variance in the values it outputs.

There is definitely a leak, but short of replacing hoses and such, what is the proper course of action? Bleeding the system? Could pockets of air gotten into the system and started causing these high temps?

I'll look into the operation of the fan clutch later on today and see if it is working properly.

Need a bit of help with this one! Got a sizable trip coming.

Old 03-04-2016 | 11:23 AM
Baja

First stop driving the truck.
The reason it is topping out @ 210 is that is when the condenser fan kicks on, in your case it is acting as an emergency fan.
Not it's intended purpose.
You need to beg, borrow or steal a coolant system pressure Tester.

Originally Posted by back9sunday
I'm starting to get high temperatures while driving short distances, just topped up the coolant about 2 days ago but and that seemed to work for a time but now it gets hot everytime I drive. It is a slow temperature rise but pretty steady. Normal operating temps around 179-183 but have been climbing up to 210. Probably would keep rising if I lived a greater distance from work. I have a Torque OBDII reader that I'm working with, which I know is pretty much just entry level and can have variance in the values it outputs.

There is definitely a leak, but short of replacing hoses and such, what is the proper course of action? Bleeding the system? Could pockets of air gotten into the system and started causing these high temps?

I'll look into the operation of the fan clutch later on today and see if it is working properly.

Need a bit of help with this one! Got a sizable trip coming.

Old 03-05-2016 | 12:36 AM
|
Mudding

We took a good look at the Disco tonight, and, using a pressure tester, we identified the water pump to have a faulty gasket. Will get to replacing that and the pump itself during the next week or so.

During the pressure tests a number of hoses were leaking very slightly. We had our PSI to 20, which is a bit high for the V8. Regardless of over-pressurizing the system, is it normal to see a miniscule amount of leakage at the hoses?

Old 03-05-2016 | 06:07 AM
Baja

No they should not leak at . be sure to test it after the pump.

We took a good look at the Disco tonight, and, using a pressure tester, we identified the water pump to have a faulty gasket. Will get to replacing that and the pump itself during the next week or so.

During the pressure tests a number of hoses were leaking very slightly. We had our PSI to 20, which is a bit high for the V8. Regardless of over-pressurizing the system, is it normal to see a miniscule amount of leakage at the hoses?

Old 03-05-2016 | 09:20 AM
Camel Trophy

We took a good look at the Disco tonight, and, using a pressure tester, we identified the water pump to have a faulty gasket.
Where did you get the pressure tester? Some forum members have a difficult time finding one with an adapter that will fit the DII reservoir. Was it a loaner from one of the auto parts chains?

Old 03-05-2016 | 09:23 AM
|
Mudding

It turned out being a loaner that was never returned, but yes inside the kit the was the pressure pump and surrounding the pump were individual attachements for your coolant reservoir.

I'm sure your local parts shop has one. I can get the name for you when I head to my shop today.